1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth over windows? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jcf3202, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all. I have three windows on my coop. One on the front, one on the side and one in the back (inside the chicken run). They are all 45 inches from the ground to the bottom of the window. Do I need to put hardware cloth over them? I'm not sure if any predator could get up high enough to get into them (I think my main predator will be racoons).

Here is a picture for reference. You cannot see the window in the chicken run, although it is exactly like the one on the side.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Well, on one hand you have your "safe," and on the other hand, you have your "sorry." Your pick.
    I'd prefer my learning curve not come at the expense of my chickens.

P.S. I've seen raccoons climb pretty high for a chicken dinner.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    If it were me... yes, I would put hardware wire over the windows.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I would. If a raccoon climbs/hops up to one of those windows, protected by only regular screen. You are in for a nasty surprise.
    Jack

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    My windows are even higher, I can barely look into one of them, but I still have hardware cloth over them. It was well worth the cost and work to not have to worry!

6. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
    That was my gut feeling but my husband thought it wasn't necessary.
    I will be adding the hardware cloth this weekend.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Glad you already decided, but I even put the hardware cloth over my roofline ventilation.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Absolutely would use hardware cloth. A raccoon, fox, cat or even a bird of prey could get in any of those windows.

9. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    My husband thought I was over-cautious but complied and put hardware cloth over our screened windows. Better safe than sorry.

10. WalkingHorse

WalkingHorse Out Of The Brooder

Hardware cloth is a must! We have a ton of raccoons here on the farm. You would be amazed at how quickly and deftly they can climb. Heights do not deter them whatsoever! Also, they have very strong paws. They would have no problem tearing through a normal window screen. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by