Hardware Cloth SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coffeelady3, Jun 29, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Ok, I'm not a handy person and I spent the entire day working on the run to attach to my girl's coop. I have come to the conclusion that I HATE hardware cloth! I know it's what to use to keep the chickens safe from those pesky predators, but can't it be just a little bit more accommodating? I mean, it's hard as heck to tack down, it ALWAYS curls in the direction that you don't want it to, and, worst of all, IT HURTS!

If and when I finally get this thing done, the chickies had better appreciate it!

Thanks for letting me vent. You may now resume normal programming.

2. MoonbeamQueen

MoonbeamQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Meadow Vista
    umm...turn it over so it does curl the way you want it?

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i agree.. and its hard to clip!!! but its worth it [​IMG]

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

Quote:but then ofcourse it cules the other way.. [​IMG]

5. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Curling in either direction is a pain. I just want it to stay flat. Is that too much to ask?

Sorry, I think I spent too much time out in the sun. My brain is fried!

6. MoonbeamQueen

MoonbeamQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Meadow Vista
    Curling away from you would be better than toward you. Wear some good leather work gloves too![​IMG]

7. TeaLady

TeaLady Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Issaquah
    I lay mine out on the ground (unrolling from the top so it is concave side down) and walk on it to flatten it out. And wear leather gloves.

I sit down nice and comfy to clip the wires, and if I'm going to need to handle it much after I've clipped it I wrap the raw edge in tape.

8. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Wearing a suit of chain mail cuts down on the scratches [​IMG]
    I hate the stuff too - I always come out looking like I've been thrown in a sack with 20 feral cats! Good luck with the stuff. I solved the problem by making my DH and DS do the work with it!
    Liz

9. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:Unfortunately, my chain mail is at the cleaners! [​IMG]

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I do what TeaLady does. I unroll mine on the ground and walk on it. After I cut it, I'm then working with a panel, not a curled up mess. Being able to work with it as panels is part of why I like it so much. I also trim the edge when needed, so there are no wire stubs sticking out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by