Hardware cloth vs. welded wire

I would suggest Hardware Cloth. Ill tell you why.

Rats/mice. I was completely shocked at how much food they eat. I have 3 laying hens, one JERK Rooster, and 2 Female Silkies. When I took the time to completely seal up their coop from rats, and make a spill proof feeder, then OMG at the food savings. I bet my chickens only ate 30% of the feed that I was paying for.
I went from using a bag of feed per WEEK, to a bag of feed every 3+ weeks. Since then, the rats have left the area cause there is no food and the wife isn't scared to go out there anymore. My next pen will be CRAZY secure. I lost quite a few chickens to a coon, and over the last 2 years, probably a hundred dollars in feed EASY to critters.

Take the time to varmint proof your pen. You will not regret it. I am still trying to rebuild my flock. Its what I got the silkies for. They are living/breathing incubators.
---
If you plan on moving, then try to save your material. Don't cut the Hardware Cloth at Joints. Just staple it. Then you can take it out and re-use it at a later time.

hardware cloth. whatever critters you are worried about now is irrelevant, as over the course of years, any and all successful vermin will multiply. the folks I know who do not use hardware cloth end up losing birds, and sometimes a whole lot all at once and sometimes after years of no problems. try to get the the best price on the thick gauge stuff and make the eves extra long to keep the rain away from the part that goes under ground, that's the part that can still rust out if kept moist. HC is the big up front investment that keeps on giving back.

When we did our last coop/ run upgrade, we built with multiple predators in mind. There's nowhere that might not have a dog visitation, and I know what two big dogs can do! That's why the 2"x4" woven wire, over the hardware cloth on the lower 4'. Then there are the night predators like raccoons and opossums, who can be out anytime, but are worse at night when the chickens are roosting.
Covering the run with mesh or whatever will keep out raptors, wonderful.
Last winter I had three nice bantams killed at night, by rat(s), who must have come in during the day, and nested in the walls. I had insulated the walls and covered it with particle board, easily chewed by those rotten rats! It's fixed now, but the whole coop security thing is an ongoing struggle!
Long story short, build the best you can; there's no such thing as 'too much' predator protection! Mary

Yes, i used welded wire over the top of my run. Husband said i should just use chicken wire. I already tried that in TN and had to replace it because it rusted out. Once i build something i don't want to keep replacing and fixing things. I want to move on to another project.

So, there are 2 specific predators we would be most concerned about where we live. Raccoons at night and hawks during the day. The run will be covered, which pretty much takes care of the hawks. And the chickens will be locked in the coop at night which will keep the raccoons out. We live in a very rural area. No major predators that we are aware of. And I’m less concerned about mice eating the food thank I am about the safety of the chickens. So, based on this information, are all opinions still the same. Thank you for all the helpful responses!

when you consider the door, it's best to use a 2 part latch to keep out the raccoons. They are clever and can manipulate one part latches quite easily.

I would suggest Hardware Cloth. Ill tell you why.

Rats/mice. I was completely shocked at how much food they eat. I have 3 laying hens, one JERK Rooster, and 2 Female Silkies. When I took the time to completely seal up their coop from rats, and make a spill proof feeder, then OMG at the food savings. I bet my chickens only ate 30% of the feed that I was paying for.
I went from using a bag of feed per WEEK, to a bag of feed every 3+ weeks. Since then, the rats have left the area cause there is no food and the wife isn't scared to go out there anymore. My next pen will be CRAZY secure. I lost quite a few chickens to a coon, and over the last 2 years, probably a hundred dollars in feed EASY to critters.

Take the time to varmint proof your pen. You will not regret it. I am still trying to rebuild my flock. Its what I got the silkies for. They are living/breathing incubators.
---
If you plan on moving, then try to save your material. Don't cut the Hardware Cloth at Joints. Just staple it. Then you can take it out and re-use it at a later time.

We actually have a Grandpa feeder. So, I don’t believe the mice and rats are heavy enough to trigger the lever to open the hatch.

I attached a picture of the coop we purchased. It is extremely predator proof. I also decided to build the run with 2x3’s instead of PVC. I am going with the welded wire for now, as HC is just not in the budget at this time. As soon as we are able we will upgrade it. Started the build today. Will hopefully finish it tomorrow. I’m no carpenter or handyman. So, while I greatly appreciate all advice, I’m pretty sure I can’t pull off as great a run as we would like. Once we move, I will probably have someone with skills come help me build a better, more permanent one.

Attachments

• 5D84D13A-0157-49C3-8AFC-D0D713C2177B.jpeg
    5D84D13A-0157-49C3-8AFC-D0D713C2177B.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 21
I attached a picture of the coop we purchased. It is extremely predator proof. I also decided to build the run with 2x3’s instead of PVC. I am going with the welded wire for now, as HC is just not in the budget at this time. As soon as we are able we will upgrade it. Started the build today. Will hopefully finish it tomorrow. I’m no carpenter or handyman. So, while I greatly appreciate all advice, I’m pretty sure I can’t pull off as great a run as we would like. Once we move, I will probably have someone with skills come help me build a better, more permanent one.

looks like a great coop get the 1 x on the holes that will help allot alright I do understand the cost factor but you have a great coop there

D984F043-14C9-4BAD-BD96-7EB9AFA50CAF.jpeg
5218E29D-CFEB-436B-9716-5A9B6F28F76F.jpeg
The run is built. FINALLY!!

For now, I went with the welded wire, the only predators we are really concerned about at this time are raccoons.

It measures 8x8x5. I cut a hole to allow for the front of the coop to be placed, which also frees up the space we would have lost by placing the coop inside.

I think it came out pretty well for a first time and no building skills. Didn’t even draw it out first. I just pictured what I wanted and hoped for the best. Lol!

Attachments

• BB0F3DA2-E533-46C2-9A61-78BB917947E2.jpeg
    BB0F3DA2-E533-46C2-9A61-78BB917947E2.jpeg
    805.5 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 1161229 View attachment 1161230 The run is built. FINALLY!!

For now, I went with the welded wire, the only predators we are really concerned about at this time are raccoons.

It measures 8x8x5. I cut a hole to allow for the front of the coop to be placed, which also frees up the space we would have lost by placing the coop inside.

I think it came out pretty well for a first time and no building skills. Didn’t even draw it out first. I just pictured what I wanted and hoped for the best. Lol!

looks great there best wishes on happy healthy birds you getting right the first time

Back
Top Bottom