Hardwire floor

ThaJuicyJuice

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Miami
Is it such a bad idea to use wire for the floor of a coop, especially when there is a second level and a roost? 4 week old chicks are on wire no until I finish the coop, and poop has been going straight through.

From the reading I have done, it seems as though the wire would irritate their feet and would not be suitable during the winter as it would be colder as opposed to hay/shavings. I do agree though that it would keep things a lot cleaner.

The following thread mentions that this idea worked for chicks but not adults:
/forum/viewtopic.php?id=459533

I have had chickens both on wire and a solid floor. I liked the wire because poop thing falls through to the ground. No bedding to buy, no coop to clean, no shoveling very clean especially with XROCKS After my crop of HERITAGE TURKEYS the wire got so stretched that I had to put 1 x 3 boards spaced 3 inches apart on top of the wire. This floor works well and is still very clean. The solid floor works well for LAYING HENS and other small birds and letting the bedding build up for winter is a big plus. The solid floor doesn't work with XROCKS there is just to much very wet poop to shovel, cleaning the coop of poop is an never ending job.

My hen coop a 7 x 16 foot truck body has a "second floor" a wooden built in place cage 3ft x 7ft with a solid floor that I use for day old chicks it's 36 inches off the coop floor and is very easy to clean and work on. As the chicks get bigger they go into another cage on the floor under this "second floor"

foux003

My BIL's coop has two sections. Wire floor in the roosting loft and shaving covered ground in the run area. He had night time temps down into the teens this winter in NC and has had no problem. Since you are in Florida, you shouldn't have a problem with wire floors as long as your roosting area is covered and has at least three solid sides to keep the drafts out.

Their poo may go thru NOW but it won't for much longer
wink.png

It's up to you I guess. Most people on this forum (me included) are not in favor of wire floors for adult chickens, as being hard on their feet and tending to require a lot of hosing (fine if you are in LA, not so fine in RI). But it's your choice. If you *do* use a wire floor, you will need to make it solid for the colder part of the year anyhow, you can't be havin' a wire floor in January in New England even if you are right on the coast. Too cold.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom