Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I would candle and see what you can see
I'll try candling tonight... Thank you♥️
IMG_20240403_102036.jpg
IMG_20240403_102256.jpg
IMG_20240403_102342.jpg

May I ask I question in regards to the auto-turn incubators? I’m fairly new to all of this but the love and dedication are there for sure. I recently tried to use an incubator off Amazon for the first time w 8 fertilized eggs. Only one chick tried to pip, and I believe the membrane dried up, and the chick actually ended up dying before getting out. All of my other eggs that were developing as they should never tried to pip or anything. I don’t know if this is bc they were turned the whole time (21 days), or if the calibration was off on the incubator. I really can’t say. It was very traumatic for me though, and I still blame myself. The question is do I remove the ring that holds the eggs on day 18 or 19? Or let them be turned the whole time. I am going to be reading the next thread about calibration, too. It was a L’gree Egg Incubator.

May I ask I question in regards to the auto-turn incubators? I’m fairly new to all of this but the love and dedication are there for sure. I recently tried to use an incubator off Amazon for the first time w 8 fertilized eggs. Only one chick tried to pip, and I believe the membrane dried up, and the chick actually ended up dying before getting out. All of my other eggs that were developing as they should never tried to pip or anything. I don’t know if this is bc they were turned the whole time (21 days), or if the calibration was off on the incubator. I really can’t say. It was very traumatic for me though, and I still blame myself. The question is do I remove the ring that holds the eggs on day 18 or 19? Or let them be turned the whole time. I am going to be reading the next thread about calibration, too. It was a L’gree Egg Incubator.
I'm no expert, I've only incubated once. But everything I have read suggests to stop turning them at day 18, so they can get in the right position to hatch.

Did you open up any of the eggs to see what happened inside? Could also be a temp or humidity issue...

I'm no expert, I've only incubated once. But everything I have read suggests to stop turning them at day 18, so they can get in the right position to hatch.

Did you open up any of the eggs to see what happened inside? Could also be a temp or humidity issue...
Yes, I did. After 24hrs of the one that pipped but didn’t make it I pulled it out and tried to help. Everything online said not to open the incubator OR help them so I didn’t intervene til the 24hr mark (obv mistake. Going forward I will help after 12hrs so as not to lose them)- chick was fully developed and membrane seemed dry in areas where the shell had come off. The next egg I tried to open up on day 22- another fully developed chick, dead. I had two eggs I was unsure of still in the incubator bc they showed signs of development, but not continued development (I.e. the veins, and what appeared to be embryo[the black area], but no heartbeat and no further development). When I opened those two, they were just like runny yolk inside. Luckily I gave broody momma 4 eggs to start and put rest in incubator so I have 4 chicks now- but all thanks to mom. It’s was very sad and def slightly traumatic opening the 2 that had babies that for whatever reason couldn’t hatch.

I am wondering if your humidity was increased at day 18 to 21 to prevent the drying of the membrane when they hatch.
I used the NR360 right out of the box and had 2 chicks hatch. I am trying out the Brinsea Maxi24 Advanced and it runs the temperature and humidity similar like the NR360. The Maxi24 Advance has manual humidity control and will stop turning on day 19.

I am wondering if your humidity was increased at day 18 to 21 to prevent the drying of the membrane when they hatch.
I used the NR360 right out of the box and had 2 chicks hatch. I am trying out the Brinsea Maxi24 Advanced and it runs the temperature and humidity similar like the NR360. The Maxi24 Advance has manual humidity control and will stop turning on day 19.
I dropped temp on the incubator and added more water in increase humidity- but I did not know to calibrate everything before hand, so don’t know if the readings on either temp or humidity were entirely accurate.

I dropped temp on the incubator and added more water in increase humidity- but I did not know to calibrate everything before hand, so don’t know if the readings on either temp or humidity were entirely accurate.
Always have an extra thermometer and hygrometer in the incubator to be sure it is the temp and humidity is supposed to be. I'm sorry about your losses, do try again.

Always have an extra thermometer and hygrometer in the incubator to be sure it is the temp and humidity is supposed to be. I'm sorry about your losses, do try again.
Thank you kindly for the advice. I will try again, but next year for sure I will let mom hatch as many as possible! My only hen that gets broody so far is bantam sized, so I was unsure how many eggs she could keep under her…but I’ll definitely give her 5-6 next year and see how she does. It’ll take me a bit to feel comfortable trying with the incubator again, tho.

Back
Top Bottom