Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

That makes total sense! Id's definitely not her if I'm reading it right.

Mine didn't like dry hatching either...seemingly at all. I upped the moisture to 40-45%...and things improved. I'm not super confident in the temperatures of mine as well. I love my GoVee hygrometers but I'm not 100% confident in their preset settings. Need to find a way to calibrate them against something exactly known.

Here's a current video taken today. It's day 16 so everything got locked down.

I love the spotted babies! Just thought I'd answer about them keeping their spots since their color is the same as paint in silkies (which I breed). They definitely should keep those spots. When you take a dominant white bird (like leghorns or in your case cornish cross) and cross it over a black bird you can sometimes get those cute spots. Dominant white in its heterozygous form is rather leaky (think of a sheet with holes in it).

Good luck with your hatch, I hope it goes really well! :fl

Are you using the automatic turner? You shouldn't need to hand turn them. The automatic turner holds 22 eggs. You also need to make sure to reset the days til hatch at the beginning of each incubation so that the turner works because it has an automatic shut off 3 days before hatch (lockdown). In my particular set up I don't feel the Nurture Right 360 works as well with a completely dry hatch. While fiddling humidity up and down through many hatches since buying then I find that for the first 18 days that I now like to keep my humidity around 45% until hatch then I increase it to about 65%. I do monitor air cell growth and will increase or decrease slightly as needed.

Make sure to use a calibrated thermometer when checking the temperature against the digital readout. Harris Farms seems to do quite well with correct calibration out of the box but I always think it's a good idea to check anyway. If adjusting is needed I can get the instructions for you.

With all of that said, faulty incubators are possible with any brand and if troubleshooting doesn't fix your incubator I would definitely contact the manufacturer to let them know.

The reason I was hand turning is because I had it full. I squeezed around 30 eggs in there so I had to hand turn.

I did calibrate a thermometer this time to check since it seemed like the same things were happening again. At first it was off by 10 degrees, then only 1 later. I'm not sure what the deal was on that. Maybe it's just the dry incubating. Next time I'll try keeping it a little higher. I was trying to keep it around 30/32%. I'll have to try calibrating a hygrometer and see if that could also be an issue? Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out.

The reason I was hand turning is because I had it full. I squeezed around 30 eggs in there so I had to hand turn.

I did calibrate a thermometer this time to check since it seemed like the same things were happening again. At first it was off by 10 degrees, then only 1 later. I'm not sure what the deal was on that. Maybe it's just the dry incubating. Next time I'll try keeping it a little higher. I was trying to keep it around 30/32%. I'll have to try calibrating a hygrometer and see if that could also be an issue? Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out.
I live in Florida and it’s super humid here, I had one super successful dry hatch and then MANY unsuccessful dry hatches after that, it was extremely discouraging, but I continued to raise humidity from then on and I’ve been having 100% pretty much since

as mentioned in this thread previously, if you just fill the spot A with water completely for days 1-18 it should be good ! That’s what I do not and don’t stress it to much, I just add more once it reads in the 40s !

I love the spotted babies! Just thought I'd answer about them keeping their spots since their color is the same as paint in silkies (which I breed). They definitely should keep those spots. When you take a dominant white bird (like leghorns or in your case cornish cross) and cross it over a black bird you can sometimes get those cute spots. Dominant white in its heterozygous form is rather leaky (think of a sheet with holes in it).

Good luck with your hatch, I hope it goes really well! :fl

Awesome!! Some of their feathers have started coming in over those areas (not the head yet lol), and the black is definitely coming through. They're also half again as big as their barred rock cross hatch mates...in just 2.7 weeks...so the growth is there....which is super cool. Lucky is twice the size of the ISA Browns I got to make up for him having no hatch mates lol....at 9wks old. He's got one little black spot on his side, and mottled grey legs, and the rest of him looks like a svelte Cornish X lol.

Well, I woke up this morning...came in to check on the chicks in the brooder, annnnnnd had a chick in the incubator. Today is day 18...I set them on the 15th of September. Nothing in my other incubator...that was set on the 14th...has budged. I'm assuming that this incubator was running hot. Since then four more have hatched. The chicks are all mobile and healthy...and a number of others have pipped in that incubator.

How many degrees hot would it have to be to hatch 3-4 days early??

Anyhow, here's a current video. The chick that hatched out of the small white shell is completely black...lol. I checked my Ayam Cemani pullet per the link Aart provided, and no signs of laying. She might just be an Ayam/Rock pullet, and so is completely black. I have no way of telling, myself.

Anyhow, lets hope for a solid hatch out of this incubator this time around, along with the second one lol.

Well, I woke up this morning...came in to check on the chicks in the brooder, annnnnnd had a chick in the incubator. Today is day 18...I set them on the 15th of September. Nothing in my other incubator...that was set on the 14th...has budged. I'm assuming that this incubator was running hot. Since then four more have hatched. The chicks are all mobile and healthy...and a number of others have pipped in that incubator.

How many degrees hot would it have to be to hatch 3-4 days early??

Anyhow, here's a current video. The chick that hatched out of the small white shell is completely black...lol. I checked my Ayam Cemani pullet per the link Aart provided, and no signs of laying. She might just be an Ayam/Rock pullet, and so is completely black. I have no way of telling, myself.

Anyhow, lets hope for a solid hatch out of this incubator this time around, along with the second one lol.

Wow! Early babies! I don't think I know the answer to that question but if you have eggs from the same flock in the other incubator and it's really that early I would think temps are definitely running higher. Do you still have your secondary thermometer in there?

Wow! Early babies! I don't think I know the answer to that question but if you have eggs from the same flock in the other incubator and it's really that early I would think temps are definitely running higher. Do you still have your secondary thermometer in there?

Same flock, same rough mix of eggs in both. The others were set a day earlier, too!

I do still have the GoVee therm/hygrometer in there. I'd calibrated it before...but apparently it's off now. I need to figure out an accurate way to calibrate the temps on these things. Setting the incubators to 99.5 back at the beginning, had the GoVEE reading 97-98 if I recall. I set the incubator higher, and had a day 21 hatch (just a poor hatch rate). The following few were day 20-21 as well. The last hatch was 19-20...and now this one is day 18.

7 of 19 puts me at my typical 30-40% hatch rate. If these that pipped hatch out, that will put me at 10, for a best yet 53% lol.

I was thinking, too...that these hens are literally just now 7mos old. They were purchased in early march. I don't know if they've grown out of the 'pullet' stage enough to have a stable hatch rate or not...but maybe that could be impacting things. My hatch rate on the last hatch was 44%...7 of 16 fertile eggs.

Same flock, same rough mix of eggs in both. The others were set a day earlier, too!

I do still have the GoVee therm/hygrometer in there. I'd calibrated it before...but apparently it's off now. I need to figure out an accurate way to calibrate the temps on these things. Setting the incubators to 99.5 back at the beginning, had the GoVEE reading 97-98 if I recall. I set the incubator higher, and had a day 21 hatch (just a poor hatch rate). The following few were day 20-21 as well. The last hatch was 19-20...and now this one is day 18.

7 of 19 puts me at my typical 30-40% hatch rate. If these that pipped hatch out, that will put me at 10, for a best yet 53% lol.

I was thinking, too...that these hens are literally just now 7mos old. They were purchased in early march. I don't know if they've grown out of the 'pullet' stage enough to have a stable hatch rate or not...but maybe that could be impacting things. My hatch rate on the last hatch was 44%...7 of 16 fertile eggs.

Hmmm 🤔 you've been extremely thorough so I'm really at a loss other than trying eggs from another local flock from someone that actively checks their hatch rate and then calibrating your fancy thermometer against one of the cheapo meat thermometers that you can submerge. That's what I calibrate all of my digital thermometers against.

Back
Top Bottom