Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Very curious to see if anyone gets results from the store eggs. Please share if you get any to develop.

My daughter did an experiment a few years ago trying to hatch store, farmer's market, and backyard eggs. Three trials were done with 10 eggs in each group. None of the 30 store eggs developed. We even read dates to make sure we only bought eggs less than 10 days old. So 0% for all 30 eggs. We knew the farmer's market eggs were fertile but they were washed. I think the lady who sold them tried to help out and made sure the eggs were fresh and perhaps not washed for the 2nd and 3rd trials. The hate rates were 70, 90 and 100% for the 3 trials. The backyard eggs were 100, 90, and 90%.

The more interesting part was that we found quail eggs. DD wanted to also hatch quail, so with the same set up, she hatched quail. ONE store egg developed and hatched!!! The quail farmers market and backyard eggs came from the same person. Basically, one was washed and refrigerated while the other was collected with intent to incubate. The hatch rates were about the same.

IMG_3449.JPG

Very curious to see if anyone gets results from the store eggs. Please share if you get any to develop.

My daughter did an experiment a few years ago trying to hatch store, farmer's market, and backyard eggs. Three trials were done with 10 eggs in each group. None of the 30 store eggs developed. We even read dates to make sure we only bought eggs less than 10 days old. So 0% for all 30 eggs. We knew the farmer's market eggs were fertile but they were washed. I think the lady who sold them tried to help out and made sure the eggs were fresh and perhaps not washed for the 2nd and 3rd trials. The hate rates were 70, 90 and 100% for the 3 trials. The backyard eggs were 100, 90, and 90%.

The more interesting part was that we found quail eggs. DD wanted to also hatch quail, so with the same set up, she hatched quail. ONE store egg developed and hatched!!! The quail farmers market and backyard eggs came from the same person. Basically, one was washed and refrigerated while the other was collected with intent to incubate. The hatch rates were about the same.

View attachment 2483583

What a great experiment! There are many people that have had success hatching store bought eggs but there are specific places they typically get their eggs that are known to be fertilized eggs.

What a great experiment! There are many people that have had success hatching store bought eggs but there are specific places they typically get their eggs that are known to be fertilized eggs.
Yes. A small ethnic grocery store used to sell eggs especially marketed as "fertile eggs.." I guess some people used to believe they had more protein or maybe just more nutritious. LOL

The store chicken eggs we used were Vital Farms (free range, organic, and pasture-raised) We tried several brands of pasture-raised eggs (thinking they may have a rooster around for protection purposes). A couple of the Vital farms eggs looked more promising than the other brands which is why we went with them. I guess it all depends from which indiv farm they came. In our state, small farms cannot sell in stores to public or even restaurants. The certification cost and inspections make it too costly for those selling less than 100 eggs a day. However, the law allows the sale of eggs from your own property (where the chickens live) without restrictions.

I just spent hours reading through this thread. Lots of great information even for an experienced hatcher. I look forward to my first hatch with a new Nurture Right 360. These beautiful shipped eggs went in this morning.
View attachment 2484246

I'm impressed! I haven't even gone back and read through the entire thread again and I made it like... almost 2 years ago now I think? Lol
Those are BEAUTIFUL egg colors!! :bow

I'm impressed! I haven't even gone back and read through the entire thread again and I made it like... almost 2 years ago now I think? Lol
Those are BEAUTIFUL egg colors!! :bow
I read the first 40 over Friday and Saturday. Then caught up today. I did laugh a bit as it kept growing while I was reading through. I think it was 113 pages when I started on Friday. :lau

Thank you! I try not to get excited about shipped eggs. But I really want these to hatch. They're gorgeous in person and I've bought a ton of Marans eggs over the years. First time with olive Eggers. Always from to try something new.

I read the first 40 over Friday and Saturday. Then caught up today. I did laugh a bit as it kept growing while I was reading through. I think it was 113 pages when I started on Friday. :lau

Thank you! I try not to get excited about shipped eggs. But I really want these to hatch. They're gorgeous in person and I've bought a ton of Marans eggs over the years. First time with olive Eggers. Always from to try something new.

Well congratulations for making it to the finish line!
fiesta.gif
lol, I feel like I should have some prize for you. :gig

I've had some great results with shipped eggs in the NR360 so fingers crossed!! It's always a game of chance with shipped eggs. May I ask where you got those beauties?

Well congratulations for making it to the finish line! View attachment 2484256 lol, I feel like I should have some prize for you. :gig

I've had some great results with shipped eggs in the NR360 so fingers crossed!! It's always a game of chance with shipped eggs. May I ask where you got those beauties?
That's promising! I'm cautiously optimistic now. All eggs pictured (plus some overflow eggs in the other incubator) are from G-Bear (GBear) Farms in Oklahoma. Wonderful sellers/breeders. I would definitely buy from them again.

Here's the rest of their eggs. Plus some locals I added just to make sure I have something hatch. You know how it is.
IMG_20210110_095853566.jpg

I'm on Day 14. Candled eggs tonight...

Confirmed that none of the store bought eggs are developing. I had left 3 of them in that I wasn't sure about.... I am finally certain they are not fertilized.

As for the 5 eggs from my girls, I have 2 that might be quitters. One looks like it might have a blood ring. The other one I'm not sure about... Given that it is Day 14,most of the egg should be dark, right? This egg looks clear except for a dime sized dark spot that is clearly visible. So I'm guessing that it died somewhere after I candled on Day 7?

The other 3 look like dark blobs. I'm terrified of killing them inadvertently so I didn't take pictures or even leave them out long enough to see if they were moving at all. I will candle them again in a few days before lockdown.

I'm a little bummed that I'm only getting 3 chicks out of 7 eggs from my girls... 😟

Back
Top Bottom