Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I'm trying to wrap my head around what I need to do if the package is not found or if the eggs are no longer viable because of this issue. I'm assuming the post office would be liable because it is not AS fault that the post office messed up. The value I paid for the order was $75, but considering AS threw in some additional eggs and extra stuff to make up for their mistake, I don't know how to value that or prove it... Then there will be the uphill battle of getting the post office to pay for anything they screw up. I have a feeling they will just come back and say "you should have put insurance on it." First of all, that isn't even an option with AS, I don't think. Second, it is kind of stupid that I should have to pay extra to protect myself against their negligent behavior.
Oh my goodness! Wow! Well I would start with calling Alabama Silkies and see if they can give you maybe a statement of everything included in the package, including the extras. That way if you do need to file a claim with the post office. Soooo disappointing. Is it possible he delivered it to another house? I guess you won’t know until they talk to him. I hate this for you!!!

I had a few minutes between meetings so I jumped in the car and drove to the Post Office. They STILL can't find my package. He said I had TWO packages to be delivered yesterday. He was under the impression that the carrier had delivered one of the packages yesterday. I told him no packages were delivered. The oversized package was delivered this morning, but not the eggs. He said that they have been trying to reach the carrier who delivered yesterday and that individual has not returned their calls. They don't know where the package was placed at this point.... Omg....I am so livid. So not only did Alabama Silkies completely delete my order...but then attempted to "make it right" by fulfilling the order right away and including some extra special stuff....only to have the friggin' post office lose/steal my package. I just can't win.
I feel for you. What a mess. Your local post office is a total joke. What a bummer. My local PO is amazing. Especially with eggs. Now I want to take them some donuts or something to encourage their continued awesomeness.

I recently had 1/12 hatch (and 2/12 develop) from some eggs that were in transit for 10 days.

If your Silkie eggs were fresh when shipped they definitely have a shot at hatching. Did they ship on Monday?

Well, the good news is that the post office found my eggs. They didn't call me, however....so if I hadn't called them again, they probably would have held them until tomorrow. I drove down there and picked them up. I got there right as they were closing the doors.... Grrr.... I think the guy locking the door could tell that I was going to go ape if he didn't let me in. The eggs were packaged REALLY well, but the materials feel cold so clearly the carrier left them in his car overnight. Hopefully it won't have a negative impact on viability. I think it got down to 20 degrees last night. Maybe a little colder with the windchill.

The other good news is that AS sent me a full 22 eggs to make up for their mistake. I only ordered 12 so now I'm going to have a LOT of Silkies, if they all hatch. ha ha.... DH suggested I should probably sell some chicks if all 22 hatch. I doubt I'll get that lucky...but fingers are crossed!

Now.....where is that bottle of wine I had? It's been a heck of a day.....

Well, the good news is that the post office found my eggs. They didn't call me, however....so if I hadn't called them again, they probably would have held them until tomorrow. I drove down there and picked them up. I got there right as they were closing the doors.... Grrr.... I think the guy locking the door could tell that I was going to go ape if he didn't let me in. The eggs were packaged REALLY well, but the materials feel cold so clearly the carrier left them in his car overnight. Hopefully it won't have a negative impact on viability. I think it got down to 20 degrees last night. Maybe a little colder with the windchill.

The other good news is that AS sent me a full 22 eggs to make up for their mistake. I only ordered 12 so now I'm going to have a LOT of Silkies, if they all hatch. ha ha.... DH suggested I should probably sell some chicks if all 22 hatch. I doubt I'll get that lucky...but fingers are crossed!

Now.....where is that bottle of wine I had? It's been a heck of a day.....
Yay! I’m glad you got your eggs! Hopefully your hatch goes well.

Ok....eggs are all unwrapped and resting. AS sent an instruction sheet on hatching their eggs. I have two questions while I wait...

1. They recommend setting humidity at 60% for the first 18 days (humidity safe zone is identified as 50-65%). And then upping the humidity to 62-65% during lockdown.

For those of you who have hatched Silkies previously, does that sound right? When I did my first batch of eggs (regular standard layers), I think it was suggested that my humidity be around 45%? I know humidity is a variable and subject to personal opinion but that seems like a wide swing to me.....

2. They adamantly state you SHOULD NOT OPEN TO CANDLE eggs during the first 18 days.

Naturally I know that any temperature or humidity fluctuations can cause an egg to die so I presume they are just trying to avoid potential mishaps by discouraging candling....would that be your interpretation? Is there something different about incubating Silkies that should preclude someone from candling them for progress?

but the materials feel cold so clearly the carrier left them in his car overnight. Hopefully it won't have a negative impact on viability. I think it got down to 20 degrees last night.
:mad: If he did leave them out in the car over night at those temps, I would not have much hope that they are alive.
Was the package marked 'live eggs-do not freeze'?

Might be good to clue the PO in before having any more sent, so they can hold them for you to pick up.....like many do for shipped chicks.

:mad: If he did leave them out in the car over night at those temps, I would not have much hope that they are alive.
Was the package marked 'live eggs-do not freeze'?

Might be good to clue the PO in before having any more sent, so they can hold them for you to pick up.....like many do for shipped chicks.
Yes, the box was marked with a bright green fluorescent sticker that said "Be Kind - I'm Alive!" I have no idea if they were left in the car or not. They didn't tell me any details. The outside of the box felt like normal room temperature. The packing materials felt slightly cooler, but not significantly cold. They did not feel frozen. Given that the outside of the box felt warmer, I am assuming that they were left in a vehicle and the temperature had not yet normalized between the outside and inside of the box. I also have no idea if the car was in a garage, covered area, or whatever. I might try to call tomorrow morning and ask to see if they will or can tell me.

I imagine that the only way I'm going to know if they are viable is to set them?

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I need to check (and how) in regards to air cells since this is my first time trying to incubate shipped eggs.

If the eggs truly got that cold, 20*, wouldn't they have frozen solid and cracked open their shells? I've collected a few like that in my coop that were laid in the afternoon or evening then hit freezing temps overnight.

Ok....eggs are all unwrapped and resting. AS sent an instruction sheet on hatching their eggs. I have two questions while I wait...

1. They recommend setting humidity at 60% for the first 18 days (humidity safe zone is identified as 50-65%). And then upping the humidity to 62-65% during lockdown.

For those of you who have hatched Silkies previously, does that sound right? When I did my first batch of eggs (regular standard layers), I think it was suggested that my humidity be around 45%? I know humidity is a variable and subject to personal opinion but that seems like a wide swing to me.....

2. They adamantly state you SHOULD NOT OPEN TO CANDLE eggs during the first 18 days.

Naturally I know that any temperature or humidity fluctuations can cause an egg to die so I presume they are just trying to avoid potential mishaps by discouraging candling....would that be your interpretation? Is there something different about incubating Silkies that should preclude someone from candling them for progress?
I'm so glad they're in your care now and looks externally ok.

Your questions are very difficult to answer because they represent where incubation shifts from science to instinct. The nuances of what works well for the seller based in their experiences.

Humidity is only a tool to affect proper weight loss in the eggs. 60 seems like a very high default number to go with. The Silkie and bantam eggs I've hatched lost slightly more weight than their normal sized eggs but not enough to justify that high a humidity. Best advice I can give is monitor your air cells the best you can (hard with shipped eggs) and go adjust from there.

Candling. That's the best part of hatching. No way I could wait that long. I've learned so much by early candling. I'd guess the seller is implying that these eggs have been through a lot. And to give them the best chance at hatching they should be messed with or handled as little as possible.

Back
Top Bottom