Harvesting in evening

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by foamspoon, Aug 12, 2013.

1. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    If I had to could I harvest early evening a rooster that has free ranged all day and had food available. What would be my concerns?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Messy gizzards and stomach contents would be spilled out. Not an issue if you are going to skin them and take out breast, legs with the contents intact. We have done it both ways and there isn't a hard and fast rule that you have to fast them. It is almost like killing a deer and rabbits, just gut them and taking care not to puncture organs.

3. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    Thank you,

I have a 5 lbs. Roo that just began crowing. He is about 16 weeks old. Do you think I should wait a little longer? I do not know the breed as he is a mix I picked him up as a hen from a local guy in the Spring. He will be my first harvest. The evening is better to harvest as my daughters will be out. [​IMG]

4. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
  5. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Like the OP said, it doesn't matter as long as you're careful and don't puncture the organs. Remember the final processed weight will be around 2/3 live weight, so if he's 5 lbs now, you'll have a 3 lb roaster. I personally would wait a bit - seems small for all the work that's involved with raising and feeding, etc. But it would be easier to handle if this is your first time to try it out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by