Has anybody here done a charity bicycle ride?

I second the cycling clothes. DH and DS are into cycling. They just got back from a nearly 400 mile, 1 week ride. The longest day was almost 70 miles. DD loves his bibbies. They also have padded crotches to help with butt fatigue. DH swears by the Hammer Gels for energy but IDK if they really work. Make sure you are properly fit for your bike. Its amazing how having your seat a smidge to low or high can affect the way you ride.

Good point on the bike geometry and fitting. A poorly fit bike feels fine for 20 to 30 but when you get to 50 to 60 it can be excruciating.

As for nutrition, most charity rides have multiple rest stops. Be sure to stop and get something in you at them. The last ride I was on had fig newtons along with scads of other stuff. For some reason the fig newtons really appealed to me so I grabbed a handful, loaded up with some Gatorade and was off again.

After a while into the ride you will possibly meet up with others at your fitness level. A group will form and it makes the ride much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Bibs are shorts will a suspender type set up (worn under a jersey
wink.png
). My husband swears by them, calls them his man girdle! A quick dry (poly) jersey will keep you comfortable too. You can find many non racer types available. I agree with Baker, make sure your bike fits you then get it tuned up!! I am a former bike shop manager, find a reputable bike shop in your area, go talk to them. They will be happy (or should be) to answer your questions, get you involved in group rides, etc. Check to see which shops are sponsors for the ride many will have discounts available to registered riders. Have fun and keep pedaling!
smile.png

Quote:
I got my bike tuned up on Tuesday and that's where I saw the poster for the charity ride. It goes from one end of Cape Cod to the other and ends in a clambake and a boat cruise back to the starting area. The people at my shop have done a lot of free stuff for me and are way up on biking in the area.

But I'm wondering about whether I want to commit to the daily hours it takes to train for a long distance thing. Also, the roads around here are congested and dangerous during the summer because so many tourist cars do unpredictable things because they aren't familiar with the area, not to mention texting, eating and cell phoning while driving. I'm wondering if I want to endanger my butt by putting myself amongst them...

Your bike weighs <10lbs their car weighs >2 tons...YOU are ALLWAYS IN DANGER when riding on the streets. AND they are MORONS to boot.
That being said....

If you have to, load up and drive to a place where you can ride a measured distance over and over where the traffic is less stressful.
I 've trained at a "loop" There's an island nearby that has a loop that's about a mile and 1/2 circle and I can just go round and round as fast as I can go (up to the 25mph speed limit) I try to pass the cars if any show up there.
It's funny, some people get offended when you pass them on a bike. But I can't keep it up for long.

Try local city parks, national parks, nature preserves, wilderness areas etc... they usually have bike paths along the roads, usually have good roads, and low traffic.

Try to join a Bike Club...USUALLY they are open to teaching you the ropes of bike race edicate, drafting, etc... and will give advice on what to eat and what to wear.

As far as training I don't recommend adding more than 10% distance or speed each week. Break up long distance rides with several shorter faster rides (10% faster that regular pace) throughout the week. (I.E. have several 7 to 10 miles rides then one 20 to 30 mile Next week add 10% to the miles NOT the speed)
Make sure you REST a day or two after long rides. Remember, you are building up your strength for the long haul. If you don't rest and re-build, you'll burn out FAST.

For me, "GOO" works well as a supplement during and after the ride.(Lots of CARBS) I keep three taped to my center tube so all I have to do is rip one off and suck it down. I keep a few more in my back pocket of my jersey.

DRINK WATER. If there is an aid station with water I STOP AT EVERY ONE. I am NOT riding the tour de france and my name is not Lance... So, Stop long enough to sip a little water, and slurp down a "GOO" if it's time. I save the water bottle on my bike until I NEED it.

Back
Top Bottom