Has anybody replaced this nipple waterer's nipples with drinker cups?

I've never used a drill.

I do have excess cat litter buckets, they're 5 gallons.

Yes, that would work! I use 5 gallon Tidy cat buckets with Rent-a-Coop watering cups. I drilled the appropriate size hole approx an inch from the bottom of the bucket and screwed the cups in. They work great!

However, if you live in a cold climate during winter months you will need to temporarily use a different waterer until the weather warms back up because the cups will freeze and not work.

I live in Michigan, our winters tend to be quite fridged. I use the cups during the summer/warmer months, so the chickens can dip their wattles to cool off and whatnot and I use the horizontal drinking nipples for winter. I then place a bird bathe water heater that's suitable for use inside the plastic Tidy Cats bucket to keep the water from freezing.

My chickens are locked up in their coop for the night, but I can post some pictures in the morning of my set up so you can see what I'm talking about.

Yes, that would work! I use 5 gallon Tidy cat buckets with Rent-a-Coop watering cups. I drilled the appropriate size hole approx an inch from the bottom of the bucket and screwed the cups in. They work great!

However, if you live in a cold climate during winter months you will need to temporarily use a different waterer until the weather warms back up because the cups will freeze and not work.

I live in Michigan, our winters tend to be quite fridged. I use the cups during the summer/warmer months, so the chickens can dip their wattles to cool off and whatnot and I use the horizontal drinking nipples for winter. I then place a bird bathe water heater that's suitable for use inside the plastic Tidy Cats bucket to keep the water from freezing.
Yep, I know. I was planning on using the cup system in summer.

I'm also a Michigander. I have the usual waterer design we can use for winters. Just the standard waterers with screw off bottoms.

You never stated you had buckets laying around until after. You can use your own bucket if that’s what you choose to do
I didn't bring up buckets until after you started talking about them.

I'm just afraid of messing up. Part of the reason I had the plan of using something that already has holes.

I tried the vertical nipples and HATED THEM. They would leak all the time and form a puddle under the waterer. Bought these ones a couple months ago before it got cold and i absolutely love them. They don’t leak and if they do, there’s a little piece where it kind of puddles but not much. We used a cheap 5 gallon bucket and attached them to it. View attachment 2999083
I use these nipples on a 20L bucket... they work perfect.... 3 nipples per bucket. I have 6 buckets in use now

I didn't bring up buckets until after you started talking about them.

I'm just afraid of messing up. Part of the reason I had the plan of using something that already has holes.
It’s not very hard to mess up. It gives you directions on what size drill bit to use and how to install them. You jsut mark where you want the holes and drill and put them in.

It’s not very hard to mess up. It gives you directions on what size drill bit to use and how to install them. You jsut mark where you want the holes and drill and put them in.
Okay, I'll give it a try.

I'll buy a few cups, & prepare a bucket waterer for summer, & see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom