Has anybody tried the Mice bucket trap?

I made two from used 5 gal food buckets and baited the cans with peanut butter. First few nights they were disassembled by something a good bit larger than a mouse. Once we live-trapped a couple of groundhogs and a possum family, the bucket traps do a brisk business, the proceeds from which I offer up to the chickens. I admit it’s a little bit cruel for the mice but they don’t suffer long. I leave some treats for the mice in the bucket so they get a nice last meal.

One key to the success of this kind of trap is figuring out where the mice normally travel and then make ramps or bridges to the edge of the bucket for easy access. Smear a bit of peanut butter along the path.

Good luck.

I had a coop that was infested with rats. After I moved the birds and started to renovate the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I tried many different things first to get rid of the rats to no avail. I finally bought some rat bait stations with poison and put them in the barn which is right behind the coops because I had seen evidence of them being in there too. I'm not advocating using poison only that is what I finally did. I put the bait stations in pet carriers on shelves so nothing but the rats could get to them. Slowly I noticed that the baits were being eaten on less and less and I wasn't seeing the evidence of the rats. I still have the bait stations in the barn and check them once in awhile. If the baits are gone then I suspect more rats have tried to move in and bait the bait stations. I check the quite often and haven't had any activity in quite awhile. There is a partition in the middle of the bait station to keep the rats/mice from getting the bait out. Good luck...

Attachments

• RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
  • RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PetCarrier1.jpg
    PetCarrier1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 2
I had a coop that was infested with rats. After I moved the birds and started to renovate the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I tried many different things first to get rid of the rats to no avail. I finally bought some rat bait stations with poison and put them in the barn which is right behind the coops because I had seen evidence of them being in there too. I'm not advocating using poison only that is what I finally did. I put the bait stations in pet carriers on shelves so nothing but the rats could get to them. Slowly I noticed that the baits were being eaten on less and less and I wasn't seeing the evidence of the rats. I still have the bait stations in the barn and check them once in awhile. If the baits are gone then I suspect more rats have tried to move in and bait the bait stations. I check the quite often and haven't had any activity in quite awhile. There is a partition in the middle of the bait station to keep the rats/mice from getting the bait out. Good luck...
I'm going to try using the baking soda and flour bait and put it in a dog crate. I was nervous about my dog eating it but putting it in a dog crate is a brilliant idea! Thank you!

I tried it never worked and peanut butter doesnt work either mice here will not eat it at all I use poison and snap traps

Interesting. When I make chicken broth I reserve the residue from straining to use as bait for live traps and snap traps. If I don't have any of that for bait I use peanut butter. Why peanut butter? Because I always have some around the house. I regularly catch mice, rats, raccoons, and possums with peanut butter.

For my bucket trap for mice with the shims I use chicken feed. It is there and handy, and doesn't make the mess peanut butter would. When I tried the rotating can I used peanut butter but a possum or raccoon destroyed that.

Back
Top Bottom