Has anyone been following the sexing of eggs from a lazer

I think it is a great idea...what a cost saver for the industry and great way to prevent all the carnage of those day old chicks.

Agree...eggs would go into dog food or fertilizer or something.

LofMc

Sounds like they are passing legislation ahead of technology. 20 seconds per egg is not industrially viable. If they develop an economically feasible way to eliminate the waste associated with male chicks, they will do it, regardless of feel good laws.

I agree with varidgerunner that it seems like they are passing legislation ahead of technology. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, it would take 72 hours just to check each egg in one incubator set at the hatchery where I work. We have Jamesway multi-stage incubators and each set has two racks that hold a total of 12,960 eggs. At 20 seconds per egg this would take 72 hours to check each egg in both racks. You can only have the racks outside the incubators for up to 1 hour before the eggs start to die after they begin incubating and there is not enough room inside the machines to check all the eggs with out removing the racks and then removing the individual egg flats to expose them to a laser. The 72 hours that I've calculated doesn't even include the amount of time required to move the racks and flats around to check each egg.

I agree with varidgerunner that it seems like they are passing legislation ahead of technology. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, it would take 72 hours just to check each egg in one incubator set at the hatchery where I work. We have Jamesway multi-stage incubators and each set has two racks that hold a total of 12,960 eggs. At 20 seconds per egg this would take 72 hours to check each egg in both racks. You can only have the racks outside the incubators for up to 1 hour before the eggs start to die after they begin incubating and there is not enough room inside the machines to check all the eggs with out removing the racks and then removing the individual egg flats to expose them to a laser. The 72 hours that I've calculated doesn't even include the amount of time required to move the racks and flats around to check each egg.

There trying to get the process down to 10 seconds... then I'm sure the next step to make machine would be to be able to do 10 eggs at a time..I would hope..
For hatcheries I would think they would love this. Setting a 10000 egg incubator and be able to throw away 5000 just after 3 days.. enable them to set 5000 more. That frees up alot incubator space.

There trying to get the process down to 10 seconds... then I'm sure the next step to make machine would be to be able to do 10 eggs at a time..I would hope..
For hatcheries I would think they would love this. Setting a 10000 egg incubator and be able to throw away 5000 just after 3 days.. enable them to set 5000 more. That frees up alot incubator space.

It really would be helpful if the laser could check more than one egg at a time. If it could check more than one egg flat at a time then it would be revolutionary.

It really would be helpful if the laser could check more than one egg at a time. If it could check more than one egg flat at a time then it would be revolutionary.

They have to sex chicks one at a time.? That takes time right? Second or 2 each?addition to all the equipment conveyer belts chutes and grinders to destroy all the male chicks.. all that wouldn't be needed. . Just hatcher to shipping box.

Back
Top Bottom