HAS ANYONE EATEN A SILKIE?

Southern Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
NorthWest Florida
I don't want to start a crazy mad thread that everyone is out for my head! I love silkies and are raising some myself. I saw on the Bizzare Food show, they went to China. They were hanging in the meat markets. Wierd looking to see the blue skinned chickens, not yellow!

I was just wondering what they taste like, I might eat one of mine one day, but I don't see it happening. Just wondering what it tasted like, but not enough to try it myself.

There is a chicken that is very very similar to the silkie from my understanding that is very much sought after in France but we can't get it here in the US. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me on this.

As for actually consuming one myself...nope and I probably wouldn't either because I consider things like silkies and the fancy birds more of a pet.

Edit: I would never begrudge anyone that tried it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like blue chicken
gig.gif

I have not eaten them, but they are very common in China. They like to make soup out of them, in particular, I believe. It is considered a delicacy. If I had to guess, they probably just taste like regular chicken, though I have no clue myself.

I think this is a good question and I hope you get reasonable answers. I know people are passionate about silkies as pets, but they still are chickens and many people eat chicken, so it's perfectly reasonable.

I have seen Silkies eaten on the travel channel.. From what i have heard is the meat tastes the same just is a black color.. Look up Andrew Zimmern on Travel Channel..

I was going to say that Purple Chicken has several posts about eating silkies. Many others have eaten them too. (Not me personally--b/c I don't have silkies, but,) IMO, it is after all, just a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom