1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HAS ANYONE EATEN A SILKIE?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Southern Chickens, May 8, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I don't want to start a crazy mad thread that everyone is out for my head! I love silkies and are raising some myself. I saw on the Bizzare Food show, they went to China. They were hanging in the meat markets. Wierd looking to see the blue skinned chickens, not yellow!

I was just wondering what they taste like, I might eat one of mine one day, but I don't see it happening. Just wondering what it tasted like, but not enough to try it myself.

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    There is a chicken that is very very similar to the silkie from my understanding that is very much sought after in France but we can't get it here in the US. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me on this.

As for actually consuming one myself...nope and I probably wouldn't either because I consider things like silkies and the fancy birds more of a pet.

Edit: I would never begrudge anyone that tried it though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Like blue chicken [​IMG]

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I have not eaten them, but they are very common in China. They like to make soup out of them, in particular, I believe. It is considered a delicacy. If I had to guess, they probably just taste like regular chicken, though I have no clue myself.

I think this is a good question and I hope you get reasonable answers. I know people are passionate about silkies as pets, but they still are chickens and many people eat chicken, so it's perfectly reasonable.

5. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have seen Silkies eaten on the travel channel.. From what i have heard is the meat tastes the same just is a black color.. Look up Andrew Zimmern on Travel Channel..

7. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

i never have eather but i understand the meat is black all the way threw. buy no means am i a animal lover or hate-er whan i say this . but i could understand if people wanted to raise for food and they like the taste

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I was going to say that Purple Chicken has several posts about eating silkies. Many others have eaten them too. (Not me personally--b/c I don't have silkies, but,) IMO, it is after all, just a chicken.

9. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I did it! I think that the soup will be very good. I just shake and baked it! The black bones are kindof creepy!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pics??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by