Has anyone else ever gotten a rooster when buying pullets?

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
I bought 4 pullets and 2 straight run bantams the last week of march. I know the silver sebright is a rooster because he was trying to crow this morning. The other bantam is a black frizzle and I thought might be a rooster but the waddles are just barely pink, comb isn't red like the sebright, but she/he was calling the other birds like a rooster does when he has food. Now for the pullets, I bought 4 and 3 of them have just flesh colored combs and small waddles but one of them has a red comb and bright red waddles. Has anyone else ever gotten a rooster? I'm thinking they are black sex link chicks. Black with brown neck and head feathers.

When I first went to buy chickens there were all kinds of mistakes. Half my fault, half TSC/the hatchery. We wanted three BOs and three RIRs, all pullets, but neither us nor the TSC people knew the difference between the birds as chicks:th . We ended up with 6 RIRs and later learned one was a cockerel.

So, to answer your question, yes people have gotten cockerels when buying pullets. Pictures will help the people on here determine the genders of your chickens.

Pictures would be helpful for sure. Answer to your question is Yes. I bought 4 leghorns, 1 is a roo for sure. I bought 4 EE's and sure 1 of them is a roo. all out of the pullet bins. Actually happens a lot. 2 different stores. I also hatched several Easter Eggers and have about 24 pullets and 23 cockerels out of that. Some I could tell easily by 3 weeks old, others not until 5 and 6 weeks old. I have had some EE's pretend to be girls until they were almost 9 weeks old, when they quickly turned red comb and started growing pointed saddle feathers, and/ or started growing the red on their wings. So far my pea comb EE's have been my most difficult to sex. Sex links are your best bet I think for knowing pullets early. :)

IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG

Oh and the 1st and 3rd pics are the same chicken. The second is the one that is suppose to be a pullet. The last one I know is a rooster because he is trying to crow. lol. Do any of you know what kind the pullet is suppose to be? I put a black sex link because that is what he or she looks like from pic of the web. Thanks guys and girls :) Oh and do Ya'll think the black one is a frizzle? He/she is not very frizzly.

Yes. I've gotten one roo from 13 pullets. It's been explained to me that there's a 10% margin for error when sexing chicks, so I expect 1 out of 10 to be male when I buy pullets.

Back
Top Bottom