Has anyone else tried these brooders?

Lucyhughes82

Chirping
Mar 6, 2018
Ohio
I switched from the light to this brooder today because I just didn’t feel safe with the light and I couldn’t keep a steady temperature even in the cardboard box maybe our house is drafty I’m not sure. We also live in Ohio where the weather has been fluctuating between spring and winter every other day! It does create a difference even in the house with the heat lamp!! They have great reviews but my chicks are definitely going to have to adjust. I have an infrared heater on 85° just in case they can’t figure it out but I also check on them constantly and try to put them under it if they’re cold. Thoughts??

Attachments

• B1BC8DCB-40EA-4F8D-950A-0A31D9420034.jpeg
    B1BC8DCB-40EA-4F8D-950A-0A31D9420034.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 40
I switched from the light to this brooder today because I just didn’t feel safe with the light and I couldn’t keep a steady temperature even in the cardboard box maybe our house is drafty I’m not sure. We also live in Ohio where the weather has been fluctuating between spring and winter every other day! It does create a difference even in the house with the heat lamp!! They have great reviews but my chicks are definitely going to have to adjust. I have an infrared heater on 85° just in case they can’t figure it out but I also check on them constantly and try to put them under it if they’re cold. Thoughts??
I am using the same plate for the first time this season and I love it. On the first day we did have to put a couple of the chicks under it to learn what it was. It didn't take long for the rest of the chicks to investigate.

I highly recommend a suggestion I saw on here to keep the top clean. Put glass press and seal on the top because if your chicks haven' figured it out yet they will jump on the top and poop all over it. With the press and seal you can just peal it off and replace.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I also have a brooder plate. I absolutely love it. I've used it for 4 batches of chicks so far. It's so awesome because they can actually cool off and get away from the heat unlike with a heat lamp. I keep one side slightly taller then the other in case of a slight chick height difference, it just allows them to snuggle in closer or farther depending on size. Plus the fire hazard which is why I originally purchased the brooder plate. I use the comfort brand plate purchased off of Amazon, this brand has a sloped roof top piece keeping chicks from pooing on top of the plate. (Excuse the chick mess, it's clean up day).

Just a little info. The Brinsea plate is alright for indoor brooding, but won't maintain temperature below 35-40 degrees. The premier one plates are generally cheaper (even when you buy the plastic covers) and they hold up at 0 degrees F (the lowest I've tested). I like the legs better too because you can raise one end higher than the other, which is great when you have different ages of chicks (2-3 weeks apart).

Back
Top Bottom