has anyone ever been bitten by a chicken?

I got bit by one of mine, but it was only after we started feeding them red worms and nightcrawlers. I think they mistake my fingers for worms now, as odd as that might sound. Felt like a quick, hard pinch. No blood was drawn and I hollered at the culprit. They aren't as quick to peck at me now, but I'm still mindful of my hands when I go out. I can pretty much tell when one of them is getting the bright idea that my fingers might make a tasty snack and quickly remove them from harm's way.

My Delaware hens (not the other ones though....) are so obsessed with food that they will bite my legs/feet to make me drop whatever I am holding. Also, they will jump into the air, and bite my hands if I am holding anything. It is terrifying, because sometimes I wander into their pen, and am distracted by something, and then am bitten.... i try to remember to watch out for those 3 harpies. Generally these bites do not draw blood, but once, as I bent down past the roost to get a randomly laid egg, our delaware rooster took a piece of my scalp! it hurt like crazy, and bled like a s.o.b.

Quote:
AMEN!!
th.gif
lau.gif

I've got a bunch o' broodies right now. I'm constantly getting bitten when I check for eggs. It's annoying, but NOTHING compared to an angry Amazon or (God forbid) macaw! Those birds can take fingers OFF if they grab it just right!

kycklingar! :

my roos bite toes.
sad.png
But we all make the bites out to be worse than they really are. I am not afraid of chicken bites. Yes, they can bruise, and even break the skin sometimes, but it's NOTHING like a mammal bite. It's almost humorous. I just pick them up and cuddle them when they bite. Biters dislike that more than anything!!
smile.png

Yep, my pet roo loves to attack my feet, especially through my sox. Im not sure the motivation but I dont think in his case he is trying to be mean. He thinks Im his hen so maybe it is dominance thing or sometimes I think he is just trying to get my attention so Ill talk and pet him. It could be a form of communication, Im just not sure what is trying to be communicated.​

Fargosmom is right. There's nothing like a parrot bite!! Those things grab ahold and GRIND their beaks! LOL

I'll take a chicken bite any day!

With 26 parrots here, I get bitten daily.

Laurie

Yesterday I went into the nursery where I have a wild game hen and her 6 little ones.

There is one in particular that is the runt and is a day behind the others.

I tried to pick the little guy up and I got pecked near to bleeding by the hen. I mean she was mad !!

So, I just watch from the chicken wire now and they seem to be doing good, eating and drinking and getting under mom for the night.

I have one hen that bites but she never draws blood. The big roo gets blood almost everytime he bites. Now when he sticks his head out and puts his wings in attack mode I punt him. Hence his name is Punt the rooster. I have another hen that jumps up on my arm and preens my coat or my shirt until she has finished going over every piece she can reach then jumps down. She never bites ... just cleans. Its cute!

I don't like the idea that I am going to get pecked at times, but it doesn't really hurt. And sometimes, when I can catch her, I let my wild chicken peck the heck out my hand so GS can laugh.
gig.gif

I just finished my run and let the girls out into it yesterday. My almost 4 wk old Brown Leghorn came up to me and pecked lightly at my toes. I've given them a few worms and they are starting to wonder if I'm packing treats when I approach the run.

Back
Top Bottom