Has anyone ever dealt with Eye Worm? What is the treatment

I've never had this problem, but a man told us if we do get eye worms to pour sugar in the chickens eye, and hold the chicken almost upside down, push gently on the lower lid and push up towards the upper lid (very gently) and the worm would actually pop out and fall on the ground.

I don't know if this is true, it is just what was told to us by a man that stopped here to buy eggs.

I'm sure there are more modern ways of dealing with eye worms.

Jean

I think Vet Rx is used to treat eye worms. It's an all natural product, I think. Here is the blurb from their website:
VETRX POULTRY Effective relief from respiratory diseases, CRD, roup, scaley leg mites, favus, eye worm - for all poultry - chickens, turkeys and game birds

******Edited to say I have never used it in any chickens' eyes and have never had this problem. I am only saying that the instructions on the package of Vet Rx say it can be used for eye worm and how to do it. Someone hinted elsewhere that it was nuts to do so and that I should not have said anything about using it, but I was not endorsing it, just offering the only thing I've ever seen as a product to extract eye worms. As anyone should, I follow directions on the medications for chickens since I don't have a vet degree.
This is the way the label says to use it:
"Eye Worm"

This affliction is most harmful to game birds, which must have good, clear vision at all times. The tiny worm works its way under the third eyelid and causes a pus pocket to form. The bird will blink excessively and rub its eye at base of wing feather.
To treat, hold bird under your arm so you have both hands free. Open bird's mouth while turning its head to side and tilting down so you can see the cleft in the roof of the mouth. Dip a small cotton swab into warm VETRX™. Press swab right into cleft. Do this slowly. Watch for VetRx to come from each side of bird's beak and pus coming from corner of each eye. Remove pus and rest bird for awhile. You may have to repeat treatment two or three times before you see results.​

Last edited:
The eye worm is not only a southern states thing, It was first discoverd in Nebraska in ringneck pheasants, Vetrx, Valbazen, Ivomect, and Lysol mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water will kill the worm. Some ppl I know even drop kerosene in the eye, they say this is effective also, the vets say the only way to remove them is by surgical procedure, but this is not so..Lots of eye infections down here in the south that dont respond to antibiotics are actually eye worms..Keeping wild birds away, And a monthly worming schedule with a broad spectrum chemical wormer and you should have no problems

what age do you start to worm? Sorry to hear that Julie! I can't look at the pics of it tonight. I will have crazy worm dreams!LOL!
hit.gif

Okay Pine grove are you saying all of the above Meds at one time or Choice of one of the above? Thanks for your response.

Just take your pick, But one at the time. All are safe and effective, The kerosene I have no experience with, Although I know long time experienced poultry ppl that swear by it , A couple of drops twice a day for three days will kill the worm. But without mesures to control wild birds and cockroaches( they are the intermediate host) and a good worming program, Your chickens will always be at risk..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom