Has anyone ever had anything get through 1/4 in hardware cloth?

A picture can be worth a thousand words. The OP never did say what gauge or size this was.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dog-vs-hardware-cloth.1105056/
I would consider 1/4" hardware cloth to be very safe but no matter which fencing you use something can get through, one way or another. The small holes will keep a lot of smaller animals out. Heavier wire with larger holes can let snakes or weasels through, for example. There are generally trade-offs. I don't know enough about your facilities and potential predators but it is pretty unlikely yours will ever be tested by something that can tear hardware cloth.

There have been other threads on here where hardware cloth was torn by big animals, usually big dogs, but those are really rare. More commonly failures to protection are due to predators climbing over or getting under a fence. Gates, doors, corners, and connections are often weak spots in your defense.

Mine is the one tractor supply sells, so I'm pretty sure it's 23 gauge but I can't find that listed anywhere on the packaging. Garden zone is the brand I think.

That picture is crazy! Confusing though... I would doubt that any dog could make that hole so fast the chicken couldn't get away?

I use the 1/2" hardware cloth, with 2x4" woven wire over it on the lower 4' of my covered run area. I too worry about very large dogs!
For bears, only electric fencing is good enough.
I have a couple of upper windows covered in 1/4" hardware cloth, and it collects dust much faster than the 1/2" stuff.
Young mice can get through the 1/2" material, but not adults. I've seen them do it.
And, if it's all not fastened, and the edges covered, it's not so good.
IMG_0224.JPG Mary

I can get 1/4 inch hardware cloth at my feed store that is 19 gage, but it is very expensive.
That would be pretty rare @Moki .
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1580591383061.png

I've just looked on here, and every subject I can find asking about 1/4 in hardware cloth, everyone recommends 1/2 in instead. But no one has had any bad anecdotes about 1/4 in hardware cloth that I can find. I would personally think that the small size would compensate for the thinner wire, since it would be a lot harder for most animals to get their teeth/claws into. I want my coop to be safe and sellable so I while I think it would work, I want to make sure it would work for other people as well.

I use 1/2" because it's generally cheaper, and easier to work with as I was attaching it mainly with hog rings - I wouldn't want to try getting hog ring pliers into a 1/4" square. My goal was just to deter rats and keep coons from being able to just reach in without issue, so 1/2" does the trick on that front. Neither 1/4" or 1/2" is going to stop a bear, so if the bear stops by, I'm just going to hide inside my house... :oops:

Whats your need or goal? Only two foot high?
You can get what size you need on amazon .com for about the lowest price. Unless you are 100% enclosing 1/4 is not going to make a hill of beans over 1/2 wire. And if you are going to enclose 100% the less seams the better so go with four foot roll. Why 1/2 HC wire? Cost effective , can be found in 100' x 48"+ rolls in 19ga for under $150. It keeps out all the things you really need to so going for 1/4 HC is just not a big deal.
But it can be had so https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1/4+hard...9&sprefix=1/4+Hard,aps,192&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_8

Pretty sure I mostly use 1/2" and like aart said, the mice can get through. Funny enough, I should have taken a pic. One morning I came out to let the girls out and a gluttonous mouse was caught in the wire. It had overstuffed itself and got stuck squeezing out. What a way to go! Gluttony can be a deadly sin! :)
How'd you get it out?

Maybe this is your pic?
I can't remember where I 'stole' it from.
1580917751763.png

Back
Top Bottom