Has anyone got Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (Bird Keepers Lung/Flu)

Pics

tamdeva

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Kingman, AZ
Has anyone got Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (Bird Keepers Lung/Flu) from Caring for or cleaning your coop? I came down with it in December 2019 after cleaning my coop, without a mask, in October! Was awful, I was VERY sick. Its now March 2020 and I am finally getting better. Please people wear a mask when cleaning or handling your birds and the coop.

Histoplasmosis is one of the nasty diseases that can lurk out there in the coop dust, and it ain't good!
I have asthma, and dust is not my friend, and that's what N95 dust masks are made for. Actual respirators are even better.
Just be safe and wear the mask, most especially when cleaning the coop, treating the birds, or spraying or dusting for parasites.
Mary

And of course, just looked into purchasing masks for cleaning and the prices are all sky-high because of coronavirus preppers. :barnie I suppose I'll have to use a bandana around my face till prices come down.

Yeah unfortunately now is a bad time to try and find masks. Do what you can do to in the meantime, and get some when supply comes back in stock.

I have gotten sick from cleaning my coop even with a mask. Had a bad cough after my last big cleaning. I went to buy some masks to clean my coop before they were sold out, and I didn't even come home with any. I picked up a pack of 50 and then googled how effective they were. A bandana filters (11%) double the particles that a basic dust mask (6%) does. You need expensive surgical masks to filter 33% of particles, and even that is nowhere near the 99% that a respirator filters. From now on, it's bandanas for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom