Has anyone had DNA sexing be wrong? Pullet with large peacomb

peachini44

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
I am curious if anyone has had DNA sexing be inaccurate? I took feathers at 6 weeks and this easter egger (opal legbar x a "blue egg layer") came back as female. However, at 9 weeks her comb has really been growing this last week or two and now is starting to look cockerel-ish. I am new to peacombs and only have on fast developing cockerel to compare her too (same age but he has pointed feathers including the sickle tail feathers, very red and developed pea comb, and crows since 8 weeks).

She never had a distinct full 3 rows, just the middle beads and then almost like an asymmetrical horseshoe shape of the 2 side rows. Now the rows are filling in and becoming more prominent. It still does not compare to the cockerel of the bunch, but he is very developed already. She also always had a grey-pink color face and comb color as a chick that grew pink with age, which also happened to another cuckoo female I had, so I think this is probably normal. It is still distinctly pink compared to the cockerels but it has deepened from pale to more bubblegum color. Sometimes it is more red but I think its from flushing/increased blood flow and it comes and goes. Lastly, in the last week the 4 hatch-mates have all been sorting out pecking order and sparring and she and the definite cockerel go at it the most. That being said, she has always acted more like a pullet just with a head-hen/dominant personality. Her feathers so far are all rounded too.

Curious if anyone has gotten a wrong result, and also will follow with a few pictures for gender opinion. I'd be so sad if she really isn't a she afterall because I can't keep her and she is so sweet and fun.... but would rather know sooner rather than later. I -THINK- she is a she and is just developing a bit fast, but I need some other opinions for peace of mind!

So I have the results back. Confirmed cockerel. I'm okay with it because there has also been a pretty noticeable personality change with the physical changes. Poor guy is just kind of the odd one out now in the flock too.

I was pretty sure of his first DNA sample that came back female being clean and free of contamination on my part at collection, so I am not sure what happened, but I do know from now on with any more DNA sexing I will be doing blood only. Much easier to ensure a clean sample. It makes sense the feathers could have been contaminated since he lives with mostly girls.

I figured I may get further telling signs in the days between getting the second sample results back. The saddle feathers are opening up sort of in-between pointy and rounded, but they are thinner than anything I can find on a hen.

But more interestingly, I just watched "her" try to mount my biggest hen, an 8.5lb BCM 3 times...which is hilarious because he's maybe 1/5 of her size and just tumbled off... and then proceed to zoom around the pen challenging the other cockerels repeatedly. I think the male hormone switch has been undeniably flipped 😩 :barnie

Yes I have had wrong dna sexing before. :oops:

mine was eggshell testing.

agree, we need photos. The three rows for pea combs is hit or miss. I think it’s more than 50/50 though at a really young age. Girls do have more as they develop, though so you may be fine.

the other sounds a bit early maturing so you may have to wait a couple of weeks to be sure on this one. Looking forward to photos.

this easter egger (opal legbar x a "blue egg layer")

No, the other cockerel in the photos is not related, only hatched the same time. He is the only frame of reference I have for peacombs and hard-feathered roosters.

Pea combs come in a variety of sizes, but in general a chicken with two copies of the pea comb gene will have a smaller comb than a chicken with only one copy of the pea comb gene.

The "pullet" in question has a pea comb, so she's clearly got at least one gene for pea comb. But Legbars have a single comb, so she must have gotten a copy of the not-pea gene from the legbar parent.

That means the "pullet" is likely to have a large pea comb, at least as compared with chickens that have two copies of the pea comb gene.

This might explain how one pullet can have a larger pea comb than a different pullet, or even a pullet have as large a comb as an unrelated cockerel, but of course it doesn't explain anything about comb color or feather shape ;)

Yes I have had wrong dna sexing before. :oops:

mine was eggshell testing.

agree, we need photos. The three rows for pea combs is hit or miss. I think it’s more than 50/50 though at a really young age. Girls do have more as they develop, though so you may be fine.

the other sounds a bit early maturing so you may have to wait a couple of weeks to be sure on this one. Looking forward to photos.

May I ask who you used? I used IQ Bird and feathers on her, maybe I should send in blood? My husband and I have grown so attached to her, this would be so sad.

Also, that is interesting you had it with eggshell. Was it wrong for male or female? I'm extra curious because I just got back my silkie results last night and it says only 1 female out of 6. I did eggshells for 3, and 3 blood (female was a blood sample).

I'll probably have to upload better ones tomorrow, but these are from tonight.

Attachments

• PXL_20210128_000802329.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210128_000802329.PORTRAIT.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20210128_000931855.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210128_000931855.PORTRAIT.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom