Has anyone had problems with MM chicks shipped end of February? Help

Quote:
I called them about the five I lost as well as they messed up my order sending me the wrong birds. They were very helpful and refunded me for the deceased birds as well as refunded the money for the birds I was supposed to get but did not get. I was satisfied with them.

If we ever feel like our chicks are ill again, I will immediately put them in isolation. I will not help them to eat and drink every few hours like I did with these chicks. I will instead let nature take its course. I was absolutely crushed to put down our Wyandotte. I had spent so many hours tending to her, to only have her be more miserable than if I would have let the AE take her. I am glad that I found this forum to find other people out there experiencing this.I will post our necropsy results when I get them from MSU.

Thank you...EVERYONE !!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences barefoot. It was hard for us, and we raise our chickens for the barnyard, I cannot even imagine how hard i is to go through this terrible situation with pets! I hope he rest of your birds are healthy and strong from here on out.

I would like to respond to Barefoot. After reading your posting again, I feel exactly the way you do. I felt like if I gave enough time and attention to these little ones that I could pull them through. Now I think...pulled them through to be put down another day. Awful. Not what my family expected.

Barefoot, I am going through this too. I have 10 (AE) affected birds, several of which I know will not recover. I keep considering putting them down, but can't seem to do it. This is my first flock, and it has been such a terrible experience. The affected birds are now over 6 weeks old and have shown symptoms now for a month.

Anyway, reading your post got me feeling very emotional. Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

So, I'm writing this because, as I was saying goodbye to the chicks, I realized how much easier it would have been if we'd done it right away, while they were miserable and sick. I clung to the hope that they would recover but they haven't. In all honesty, the four that we are still nursing will probably have to meet the same fate. They just aren't growing and they still can't walk properly. I just wasn't ready to give up on all seven of them at once. I picked the three whose legs were completely useless to say goodbye to today.
[b]I unfortunately and and still have the same dilemna...I already had to euthanize 4 (HORRIBLE!!!) and have two that just cannot walk well...and they (I think) are recovered as well as they will get......it has been 4 weeks since they came down ill.[/b]

It is also worth mentioning that one of our AE chicks did recover enough to go back with the healthy chicks. However, he never showed as bad of symptoms from the start and we were able to put him with the healthy babies within a week. He was always able to stand up and walk, just a little wobbly. And, he will probably always be a little wobbly and smaller than the rest.
I have 3 that are runted but otherwise are normal....then I have one that looks fine but still has a slight head tremor. Will this get any better?
Please send well wishes for everyone who is trying to pull these little ones through (including me.)
Take care
-nj
Tally, FL

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, all hatched on 2/29/08. I had 2 DOA, 4 more were barely alive and died within 48 hours. Since I had 6 die, and MM didn't send 4 of the others that I ordered, I picked up 12 more chicks at the local feed store. Of course, this was before I knew that some of my MM chicks had AE. The chicks I got locally are a few weeks younger than my MM chicks and are in the same brooder as the MM chicks. So far the local chicks are fine, but not out of the woods yet. Hopefully they had parents that had immunity.

Truely sorry for all of your losses. Getting new babies is so exciteing and every loss hurts. On the bright side, hopefully the outbreak is over. We received our MM order March 31. Of the 72 received so far all are alive and appear healthy. We got EE's, NH, Light Brahma and the freebie (Buff Cochen?). They were kept isolated from all of our other chickens for 2 weeks just in case. We have ordered from MM several times and they appear to be a reliable company.

Back
Top Bottom