Has anyone had sour crop go away on it's own?

thank you....I'm reading sad stories though that most hens don't make it once they've gotten this....even when people made them vomit. :(

To squeeze her crop by yourself it's very dangerous beacause if you don't have the experience, you might harm the chicken, and you need at least two people for this operation, so contine withe ACV and yoghurt, and keep me informed about the chicken situation, cheers and i wish you luck again!

Thanks! I felt it last night and I don't dare push it around. She's acting completely normal. Do you think it can go away by itself?

No, I do not think it will just go away if it is indeed soured. It is fungal in nature. You need to try to fix the problem. Again, I'm posting the protocol for sour crop:

Quote:

Impacted crop is hard like a baseball and doesn't go down by morning. The bird literally starves to death if something is not done.

Last edited:
My bird has sour crop and we have made her be sick today and is eating blended chicken food and water . Will the sour crop go away by doing this along with the separation of her and the other hens?

My bird has sour crop and we have made her be sick today and is eating blended chicken food and water . Will the sour crop go away by doing this along with the separation of her and the other hens?
Hello there and welcome to BYC!

It depends on why she has sour crop. If it is a simple case of sour crop, eating some moist layer feed, staying away from all hard foods and putting some probiotics in the water and keeping them vomited each morning, generally they can clear up on their own in a weeks time.

But if the crop is slow due to illness or worms, you will need to address these first before you can clear up the crop issue. Many times the crop problem is a symptom of something else.

Have a look at this article on crops and how to cure what ails them. It will help you understand what is going on inside your bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I hope you can get your bird back on her feet soon! Keep her warm too if it is cold where you live. Cold birds never heal fast.

Keep us posted! :)

Oh and you do not need to separate her because she has sour crop. It is not contagious.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

It depends on why she has sour crop. If it is a simple case of sour crop, eating some moist layer feed, staying away from all hard foods and putting some probiotics in the water and keeping them vomited each morning, generally they can clear up on their own in a weeks time.

But if the crop is slow due to illness or worms, you will need to address these first before you can clear up the crop issue. Many times the crop problem is a symptom of something else.

Have a look at this article on crops and how to cure what ails them. It will help you understand what is going on inside your bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I hope you can get your bird back on her feet soon! Keep her warm too if it is cold where you live. Cold birds never heal fast.

Keep us posted! :)
thank you for your help
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom