Has anyone had this happen?

I've had multiple dogs all my life, dogs ARE my life since I was a kid. But I don't care how many people claim you can "train" a dog into being nice to chickens, there's no way I'm going to trust my beloved chickens around my dogs. Chickens have instincts to run and dogs have instincts to snatch them up. I build my chicken pens and yards in a completely different area to keep my birds safe from my OWN dogs. In the process it's like Fort Knox to other predators.

Quote:
Not true. My 2 Goldens ate a hen (she was wild) and all of her eggs before I could get to them to stop them.

Last edited:
Quote:
He is a mix between a miniature schnauzer and a toy poodle, It would make a lot more sense if he was some kind of retriever!

It's a misconception that retrievers go after birds. They may be taught to retrieve, they may take good notice of birds, but they are certainly highly trainable which is why they are used for so many jobs. We have a Golden and Lab and a Jack Russell, all who mingle with the chickens. However, dogs are dogs and I'm not sure I'd tempt fate by having a dog spending tons of alone time with the chickens.

That being said, OP, it's not your fault. Sometimes these things just happen. A dog may have just gotten tired enough of the chickens to go for one. Or, the dog may have been more in play as I believe if he wanted to catch the chicken he would have. Don't beat yourself up!

I had 2 dogs (a Lab and a Chow) when I first got guineas and chickens. They would occasionally run through the flock to see them scatter, but never targeted any individual bird. Iwent from 3 guineas to 35 guineas in 8 months. The dogs still stayed away from them and free ranged with the birds all day and patroled for varmits around the coop at night. That lasted about a year. I drove up one day to find a dozen dead guineas and two very excited dogs scanning the trees for the ones that got away. After that, the dogs killed anytime they were alone with the birds. As long as I am outside, no worries, but if a bird is unsupervised, the dogs think it is fair game. The dogs have even tried (unsucessfully) to break into the coop at night. Like you said, it all changed in a day!

Actually, poodles were bred to be hunters/retrievers, that's why they have that funny pompom look- to keep them afloat in the water. And terriers are hunters, too. I don't know about this one, I'm not a dog behaviorist. I guess it's time to keep them separate. Good luck!

I have two Dobermans who LOVE my chickens. They didn't like my rooster that I used to have LOL. They would chase him all over kingdom come. Once one of the dogs caught him, pick him up and carried him to the back of my yard for some guy love. Not a mark though. Just soaked with saliva!!
lol.png
My dogs lovvvve the hens though!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom