Has anyone on here crossed a Speckled Sussex with a blue egger to create a olive egger? Is it possible?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I read online that crossing a brown egger with blue egger with create a olive egger and Speckled Sussex lay light brown eggs so I was wondering if crossing them with a blue egger would create the expected outcome by what I've read. If anyone on here has done it pictures of the cross would be appreciated. Thx,

The idea behind an olive egger is that they lay dark green eggs. It takes a breed that lays dark brown eggs to create a proper OE.
Sussex cross will lay a green egg but not a very dark one. Now days it seems lots of what's called OEs don't lay dark green eggs at all so you can join that crowd or be more proper calling it an EE.

Olive Eggers are usually a cross of a Dark brown egg breed, such as Marans, Barnevelder, etc. with a blue layer that has strong blue genes.
Speckled Sussex lay Cream to Tan eggs, so you would get a very light green.

The idea behind an olive egger is that they lay dark green eggs. It takes a breed that lays dark brown eggs to create a proper OE.
Sussex cross will lay a green egg but not a very dark one. Now days it seems lots of what's called OEs don't lay dark green eggs at all so you can join that crowd or be more proper calling it an EE.
Thank you for this info! If I do this cross should I call them green eggers of EE? Thx,

Back
Top Bottom