Has anyone seen a hen with feathers like this? She also has no comb or wattle, which I guess is rela

FeelingPeckish

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Central Texas
i bought 4 iowa blues as day old chicks (born mid-late april), and these are the only 2 who made it. one is "normal" in appearance and started laying about 3 weeks ago. however, one is odd looking- her body feathers are very loose and hang down (the neck feathers sometimes stick out like a clown collar), and she does not have a comb or wattles (or even any reddish hue around her face). i'm guessing these are related conditions? i'm pretty sure she is not laying- but am not positive yet. has anyone come across a chicken like this? can i presume her "inferior gene expression" means she will not lay?

she's super sweet but pretty low on the totem pole. she also makes funny noises that the other IB doesn't...sounds like a nasally geeky 14 yr old boy laughing. i think she will be our "very special girl." Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with feathers like this, or any other comments on her condition!

Eloise

Sojourner Truth- the 'normal' Iowa Blue

Last edited:
She is very lucky to have you as her owner and thinking that she is special. Some people would just cull her and get another. She is cute and deserves to be treated with love like the rest. You never know she may end up being the best layer. I have a black Maran who is 26 weeks and has no waddles and a very small comb that has just now started to appear, it's really red though. She looks like a buzzard. She is not laying yet. I read that by 30 weeks all hens should lay unless there is a problem. Good luck to you and your special girl.

she certainly is unusual, I would think some other breed in her make up probably silkie but who knows I would like to know if she lays if she lays. could you let us know if she does?

my iowa blues were originally named after "inspiring women" - harriet (beecher stowe) and amelia (earhart) didn't make it- but sojourner and eloise did. oh, and she's just eloise. you can kinda see why with that face. ;-)

Cool

i was wondering if there might have been some tampering, OR, if the gene that causes silkies to look like they do might have started with an errant chromosome, like in eloise's case? took this today... my poor little dear.
Wow.. She is so cool looking. If you don't want her, send her this way ;)

She looks like she is wearing a formal gown. Such a beauty!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom