Has anyone seen this beak malady before?

kareema113

Chirping
10 Years
May 9, 2010
Hello,

I am new here. Does anyone know what is wrong with our hen?
56984_goober_003.jpg

About a month ago, our 8 or 9 yr old white Brahma hen began scratching the side of her face and shaking her head. It turned out that she had scaly leg mites, so we treated the entire group and their environment with Adam's Plus flea and tick mist with IGR and Sevin dust.

We also put vegetable oil in both her ears since it was possible that she had an ear infection. She was acting as if she plainly did not feel well. Subsequently she developed a swelling on one side of her head. Assuming that it was a sinus infection, we began giving her oral tetracycline via eyedropper. We did this daily for about a week. One day my daughter could not come to assist me. The following morning our hen's head looked like a tennis ball had been inserted under the skin on one side. Additionally she had some bleeding from her nostril area. Her eye was completely swollen shut.

Since we have had this girl for 7 yrs (she was a rescue chicken at that), we decided to administer penicillin G by injection. We began using 1/2 cc since she was pretty thin. It is now 14 days later and we are administering 1 1/2 cc daily. We have watched the swelling shrink steadily. She now opens her eye partially and can can see out of that eye. Her eyelid gets 'bubbles' under it and The swelling has not spread to the other side of her head.

Something is out of control at the side of her mouth. We have watched the tissue inside her mouth go from dark brown to normal. My daughter said that her palate was pushed to the side initially but now is straightened out. This is the second time this growth or whatever it is has appeared at the side of her mouth. The last time it apparently 'fell out' and she could close her mouth normally. We watched it grow again into this. This seems to be some sort of scab or something. It swelled up kind of like a boil and we began to apply hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment to the outside of it.

We have applied Vaseline to her face and beak multiple times to be sure that any scaly mites are gone. We re-treated for mites at 10 days since this is when her face ballooned on one side.

She seems to feel fine. She is eating, etc. She is still shaking her head and scratching at the side of her face. We made an e-collar 2 weeks ago for her to wear. She is amazingly good during all the poking and prodding and experimenting we have done. She seems to know we are trying to help... and that bit of cake she gets afterward helps too.

None of the other hens have developed this. None of the other hens are sick. A Silver Sebright banty that is her best friend apparently had scaly mites in her beak which deformed one nostril, so we think that there might have been scaly mite involvement with our Brahma's beak which lead to infection.

I have searched the internet and not found another photo like our hen. Another pet chicken site was stumped.

We expect the thing at the side of her mouth to fall off again like last time, but will it re-grow again?

Thanks for any help you can give us...

Your photo did not show up, I'll put it up for you. Hope you figure out what's wrong with her. Btw, she's a light brahma
smile.png

30925_124636034219410_100000190416038_337130_2289204_n.jpg

I'm looking though a chicken book I got the other day and it sounds a lot like infectious Coryza". here is the exact quote from my book:

Symptoms: Swollen heads, combs, and wattles; eyes swollen shut; sticky discharge from nose and eyes; moist area under wings; laying stops.

How contracted: Bacterial disease; transmitted through carrier birds, contaminated surfaces, and drinking water.

Treatment: Bids should be destroyed as they remain carriers for life.

Vaccine available: None.

I'm sorry about your little chicken... I'm just saying what the books says but if you really want to keep it, you would have to keep it separated from the rest of your flock.

I don't know much about chicken diseases so listen to the others on that, but I'm just wondering if it's a scab type thing (and there's raw skin under if it you lift up the edge) or if it's the skin itself and it's some sort of cyst.

If she was a pigeon, I'd say she has canker. Idon't know if chickens get canker or not. Putting the vegetable oil in her ears was probably not a real good idea.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help...

We have ruled out coryza because there is no offensive odor or nasal discharge, but anything is possible.

I looked up canker in chickens. They certainly can get it and I think we have an accurate diagnosis judging by internet photos.
My daughter (the 'doctor') confirms that the inside of her mouth looks pretty much like the illustrations online.

Cankerlesion2.jpg

Cankerlesion3.jpg

Here is a link to the canker thread I got the photos from (at another chicken site): http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7984614&start=0

My
local feedstore does not carry any of the medications listed for treatment. I was referred to the local poultry assn for assistance. The woman told me that my hen is immuno-compromised and that I should cull her. She also suggested that if I was not going to do this, then we could remove the growth and pack it with a comfrey/goldenseal mixture to sterilize it from the inside. We could continue to administer the penicillin while we waited to see if the growth would re-occur.

My internet research tells me that canker is common in pigeons, so I think it should be easy to get the meds for it... if I just knew where to look locally.

Thanks again for your help...

I just spoke to a gentleman from a local racing pigeon association and found out that there is yet another disease called 'blackhead', which he says is different from canker/sour crop.

He directed me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhead_disease

Here
is an article from Kansas State University regarding this disease, which states that what may be diagnosed as coccidiosis may be 'blackhead disease' instead.
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/EP69.pdf

I do not think that we are dealing with 'blackhead disease', however the treatment is the same.

While trying to find a photo of a chicken with blackhead disease, I came across this from a 'manual meat inspection for developing countries'. It has a rundown of various poultry diseases with postmortem photos.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0756e/T0756E08.htm

This gentleman also gave me sources for canker medication online and one possible local feedstore source.

I will investigate further. I really appreciate the internet at times like this... I am listing the info I find out in this thread for the next person whose chicken gets this.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom