Has anyone tackled feeding their flock with out purchasing food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clbarley, Sep 18, 2012.

1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    So my goal over the next few months is to be able to feed all my animals with out having to purchase food for them. We currently have 8 ducks, 3 geese, 3 chickens and 4 dogs.

I have done all the research for my dogs. I know exactly what they are going too need. So as long as my girls produce eggs and my garden does ok they will work out.

So I want to know has anyone tackled feeding their flock without buying feed?!

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    ive thought about it, but never have tried......i might have to sometime if i forget to buy feed in time before i run out :-o

3. carolb5

carolb5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Montana
    I still purchase whole grains to sprout and feed. I give them meat scraps, veggies, weeds etc. I can't free range my birds. I need to store more for the winters in Montana.
    Carol

4. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I believe that unless you have enough land to grow enough feed grain for them it can't be done. You can supplement and lower your feed cost, but I dought that the average person can get rid of it all.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. hillbillyfarmer

hillbillyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Maryland
    With the price of feed and scratch grains going up I am going to try. For me the winter will me be the hardest part, but I'm going to try and grow what I can this winter in a hoop house. Also looking into raising meal worms and crickets. The last time feed went up in price it doubled around here and put a real financial strain on the bank account. I believe it can be done just need to get creative. Wild turkeys and other wild animals manage to feed themselves all winter so maybe we can learn something from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by