Has anyone used rugosa roses to shade their runs?

I could put some on the outside of the chain link. I am not worried about maintenance as the chain link doesn't need any. It is there for as long as we have the chooks.

It makes more sense if you have permanent fence.
smile.png
On mine, I figured if I started having weasel problems it would be really tough to fix/find the problem with roses growing over the fence. And rugosas can get soooo big... Easily 6x6 here.​

Quote:
It makes more sense if you have permanent fence.
smile.png
On mine, I figured if I started having weasel problems it would be really tough to fix/find the problem with roses growing over the fence. And rugosas can get soooo big... Easily 6x6 here.

Must be all those minerals, sunshine and rain in the witness protection program.
wink.png

I like your idea of some lilacs. I can do that on the east side. The south and west are horse pens and pasture.

I decided to look into shade netting as well. That would help in the spring and summer.

Hey thanks! Never even thought of thornless roses. I am going to seek and find some. We have an amazing source of roses here in Maine that only sells Roses hardy for our zone. It is amazing how many roses can thrive in the tundra. I will keep this list for spring.

Hey, everything I see your ID I think of when I lived in Alaska and kept seeing a woman with a full beard around town. LOL I am assuming you love Irises.
smile.png

Last edited:
A woman with a full beard, eh? Was she married? To a guy?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Except for that one mole that grows a single beard hair, I am sadly dissappointingly beardless.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Tell me the name of that rose company, I am sure I've heard it but I can't remember what it is??

ps. you know my avatar has pictures of bearded iris, right?
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Even the flowers are wearing disguises.

Last edited:
On the GardenWeb rose forum, there's a lady who uses Celeste for her ID. She's in NH - should be pretty similar climate wise.

Here's one of her fantastic posts full of scrumptious photos of what grows well for her.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1120441710912.html

DREAMY SIGH, I love looking through her photos and posts.
big_smile.png
I'd love to have rose covered chicken runs. I hope you do it, and please take lots of pictures!!!!

I order a lot from High Country Roses.
http://www.highcountryroses.com

Also have ordered from Ashdown (which is on the east coast).
http://www.ashdownroses.com

The two vendors above ship slightly larger size bands.

I have ordered from Vintage Gardens and Heirloom, they ship smaller sized bands (tiny rooted plants). And they are on the opposite coast from you, so probably not the best choice...

Have heard very good things about ARE but they are expensive enough that I've not tried them. I usually order 10 roses or so at a time and then grow them in pots before planting in the ground, so band sized works well for me. A lot of people use Chamblees in TX, too, but I've not ordered from them.

Back
Top Bottom