Has anyone used Southern Farm Hatchery in Mississippi?

I really like this hatchery, and the bantam mix is a family farm HAVE TO GET! The fun these little chickens provide to the children will last them for the rest of their lives! Good healthy great quality chicks!

I know its been a while since you posted, how are your birds doing? Live in Jackson Co. and I am thinking of using this hatchery too, just to save on these outrageous shipping fees.

We have been impressed with our birds. We bought hatching eggs from them and the size and fertility was great. The chicks hatched out quickly and were strong chicks from the word go.....and are now laying hens,.. we got Australorps and Barred Rocks. They are our only hatchery birds,. and while they are no show birds,. they are healthy and productive and not too far off the SOP for a production Aussie,.. our BR roo from that group was a really big boy.

They have just built a bigger barn and added Speckled Sussex to her list,.
We would definitely buy from them again. They are nice people too.

Has anyone had chicks shipped from Southern Farm Hatchery? I live in Oklahoma so it is too far to drive, but I want some Salmon Faverolles and can't find any pullet chicks close...

Quote:
Never had any shipped from them,as they are friends and I live nearby,But they always take great care in shipping.They usually add grogel in the box for the chicks and sometimes even slices of fruit for extra moisture.They have been very nice people,and talk with them often.

I found them online a few days ago and wanted to order some chicks from them, but they don't ship to Virginia.
hit.gif
But I see they do have hatching eggs for sale, so I might try that out. From what I could see in their pictures, their Speckled Sussex look pretty nice. Got a lead on some other eggs from show quality birds I have to find out about first though. Of course, I hope it pans out. If not then I might just try some of their eggs. Kind of worried about having them shipped in this heat though.

Quote:
I was just talking with Billie yesterday about the whole ordeal of shipping to VA...lol... She was explaining all the issues with the state of VA itself.As for the egg shipping in the heat.What I always do with my shipments during the heat is put them straight into the incubator,but don't turn them for the first couple days.Just in case the embryo has started to form.That way cooling it down won't disturb the process.

Quote:
I was just talking with Billie yesterday about the whole ordeal of shipping to VA...lol... She was explaining all the issues with the state of VA itself.As for the egg shipping in the heat.What I always do with my shipments during the heat is put them straight into the incubator,but don't turn them for the first couple days.Just in case the embryo has started to form.That way cooling it down won't disturb the process.

Thanks, Whiskey Bay. I'm new to incubation. I ordered 2 dozen SS eggs from two breeders in Ga. and lost them all in a Little Giant incubator. So I made one out of a small fridge. It works so good I'm making another. Probably have it done tomorrow. Now if I can just hatch some eggs. I sure do appreciate that tip! I'm still waiting on word from a fellow about those SQ SS, but I might order some from from Southern Hatchery too since I'll have 2 incubators. I also would like to try some more eggs from one lady down in Ga. too. I can see myself turning into a hatch-a-holic.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Thanks, Whiskey Bay. I'm new to incubation. I ordered 2 dozen SS eggs from two breeders in Ga. and lost them all in a Little Giant incubator. So I made one out of a small fridge. It works so good I'm making another. Probably have it done tomorrow. Now if I can just hatch some eggs. I sure do appreciate that tip! I'm still waiting on word from a fellow about those SQ SS, but I might order some from from Southern Hatchery too since I'll have 2 incubators. I also would like to try some more eggs from one lady down in Ga. too. I can see myself turning into a hatch-a-holic.
big_smile.png

Not sure who you are looking at in GA....But Nancy (Bargain on here) has some beautiful birds and I have ordered and and good luck with all my hatches from her.She is a wonderful person.

Back
Top Bottom