Has anyone used Southern Farm Hatchery in Mississippi?

I just ordered from Southern Farm Hatchery, i have my fingers crossed all goes well for my 10 little chicks : ) Speckled Sussex(3), Black Australorp(2), Ameraucana(2), black sex link(2), red sex link (1), they will be coming to AZ, I wish they were coming from closer but everyone seem so sold out right now, and i so wanted to speckled sussex that i went with where i found them, would have love marans too but they didn't have those..... so excited to be having baby chick again soon soon!!!

I see everyone is allegedly having great care from Southern Farm Hatchery. However, I am quite concerned about the actual workings of their business. For being in business as long as they have I would think they would have better success at sexing and breeding chickens. I purchased 12 chicks from them back in JUL, all supposed to be female. Luckily I have only lost one to a respiratory problem, other than that they all are healthy. I got 4 RIR, 4BR, and 4 Red Sex Links, so I thought. Turns out, the sex links, I'm not sure what they are. One turned out to be some mix with a favorelle, the other three we are not sure. All four of my RIRs are roosters and looks like 3 of the 4 BR's are male also. I am a little dumbfounded at that ratio and the fact we didn't get sexlinks! I'll link to the post in "What breed/hat gender in a sec (Has pics).

I love supporting local business, and maybe I'm overreacting, and I def don't want to order online from across the country. Just be careful I guess ordering from them if you expect a small male to female ratio and get the actual breed you ask for.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=589303

I have never ordered chicks however, for the last two years we have ordered hatching eggs to incubate in the classroom. The delivery has been timely and the eggs packaged well. No broken eggs in either shipment. we had a great hatch rate last year and this year, although we are in the second week of incubation, we have candled all the eggs to check for viability. 36 out of 36 eggs were fertile. The price is far cheaper than some of the "big boys" in the industry, as far as eggs go.

I used Southern Farm Hatchery for the first time, and I won't use them again. Two weeks ago we ordered 12 cortonix quail chicks. They finally shipped on Tuesday April 3rd, they arrived on today April 5th and they were all dead and the shipping box stunk bad. Now they say that they ship all over the county, and this was only a 1-2 day delivery. I find it hard to believe these chicks were all healthy. Oh yeah and they have a live guarantee. However this guarantee only refunds the money of the chicks, not the shipping and small order charge. So that is only half of what I paid. I won't try baby quail by mail again.

I just ordered last week. Five chicks. Im hoping all goes well. I am a little worried after reading some comments about shipping. Wish me luck.

I ordered 5 but got 6. They are all alive and look happy. They were on time. So fat it looks good. Let hope they are all girls. :)

Twice we ordered eggs from Southern Farm and both times were total disasters. We ordered 40 eggs (mixed) on the first batch, of those, we had eactly 11 to hatch. We had 16 that were infertile and the remainder died late stage embryo. We had asked for NO FEATHERED LEG eggs in the mix, and they said they would be sure not to send any. Ten of the 11 were feathered.

So, they replaced the eggs that were infertile on our second order. We had worked with the incubator and gotten our hatch rates up to 100% on all of the eggs from our yard, so we were comfortable making this order...$148 worth. We ordered 20 guinea, 12 speckled sussex, 10 Silver Quill, 10 Red Pyle, 10 Silver Duckwing, and a handful of BB Red. We hatched 11 guinea, 3 SS, 2 SQ, 0 Red Pyle, 2 SDW and 0 BB Red, there is ONE unknown. It looks exactly like a SQ, but it is gold (any ideas?) Out of the entire order, We have 2 and a half dozen eggs that are infertile. Six made it through the first week of development and died. It took us 3 weeks to get them to refund the monies, and now they won't respond to any questions or attempts to contact them. When we call, they hang up on us.

SO, do I recommend this hatchery? That would have to be a big fat NO.
We have had excellent experience with Cackle. Try them, they have a much better variety.

update; Of the 6 they sent me, one died. All 5 should have been hens. I have 2 roosters. Most upsetting was that i ordered a speckled sussex and got an American. Im not completely happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom