Has anyone used that 4x6 1/2 plastic roofing panels?

Dooner

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
I ran into a problem trying to match up my current run with the new coop I am building. The chicken door on the coop is higher than the run because the coop is on stilts. I am going to have to do some retrofitting. I thought I could kill two birds ( sorry) with one stone by placing a sheet of the corrugated plastic panel at an angle, with the coop end being right above the chicken door and then run it out lengthwise towards the end of the run. That way it will serve as a roof for the run. I would use 2x2's for the triangular frame on each side and then remove about two feet of the hardware cloth on the top of the run to open it up for the ramp to go down into the run. I think I would just use eye hooks to attach it so I could remove it if I wanted. What do you think?

Last edited:
harrisville chicken it looks like yours has a solid plywood roof underneath right?

Donner I cant really visualize it but Ill just say if you want to use the cheap plastic roofing be sure nothing will fall on it and its very solid (like the plywood) under it. If not that stuff will break in no time. They make a higher grade plastic roof that does a little better. There is also metal and a recycled(i think) material they carry @ HD and it seems pretty sturdy but I never used it. I would use metal personally. Maybe post a pic if you can

Your general construction plan is fine. Make sure the framing is good'n strong though -- you need to make it so YOU couldn't take it apart without tools or a karate blackbelt -- meaning, don't skimp on wood or fasteners and be careful about how exactly it all goes together.

As far as the plastic roofing sheets, I am not sure exactly which ones you're talking about (the ones I'm familiar with are all ~ 2x8 or 2x12) but make sure you check the material before buying, and as the previous poster says, be leery of using the cheap pvc panels for a roof like this. They may be cheap but they ARE cheap
tongue.png
and rather brittle and quickly get *more* brittle in sun/heat/cold. The more-expensive polycarbonate panels are much more durable. Although oftentimes metal roofing panels are a bit cheaper, albeit more work to cut.

Whatever roofing you get, make sure you support and attach it as per the mfr's instructions -- they always have a pamphlet, sometimes available at the store and always available online, to tell you what rafter and purlin spacing, how much unsupported overhang is ok, what fasteners to use, exactly what size to predrill the holes, filler strips, etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I guess I did not realize you had to put a sheet of plywood under the panel.

I used a couple of panels with support beams underneath. It lets the sun in to warm up the coop in the middle of winter. The beams are small logs to handle any possible snow load.
They have a mini sun room at 8600 ft in the air when the winds are howling. LOL No problems with them holding up so far.

Depending on your climate, you may not really want that "greenhouse effect" in the summer. It can get very hot under those panels if the coop is in the sun.

24df2da7.png

Here is the product from Menard's. Not translucent. Corrugated asphalt roofing.
Product Specifications:
Variation: Midwest Green
Dimensions: Sheets are 48" X 79"
Model Number: 154M
Menard
00ae.png
SKU: 1594620

*Actual Finish: Midwest Green

*The image may not represent the actual product. It is only intended to show the finish color.

Last edited:
Is that plastic or like a composite, sort of like real heavy shingles with out the grit?

I have that on my shed and 1 coop. It works well. You still need purlins and to fasten it down.

Back
Top Bottom