Has anyone used this hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Seatrout00, Jan 6, 2016.

1. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    jk47, where is Hoover Hatchery? Just curious. It sounds like a great place. If it is close to me I might try to convince my 4-H leader to order from there because we always order from Dunlap and it does not have a very good assortment for us and they usually run out of the good ones before we get in an order.
    Thanks.

~chickenchick

2. Seatrout00

Seatrout00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    Its really amazing to me to see much how many hatcheries are all over the US - I guess I never really thought much of people raising their own poultry. I am sure some folks buy in bulk from these hatcheries, but I am guessing the majority are buying small numbers - after all, wouldn't the big factory farms get their eggs elsewhere?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Feed stores are the main customers for hatchery chicks.

4. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    I just received 25 chicks today from Privett Hatchery. They pretty much hatch weekly. Their website doesn't work, but they were all wonderful over the phone. They shipped on Wed and I received them this afternoon. They use 2-day priority mail. Minimum order is 25 right now.

5. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Where is Privett Hatchery? They sound like a good outfit. Does their website not work like it won't load or you just can't make orders from it? Have fun with your little peepers!

~chickenchick

6. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Chickenchick
    Hoover hatchery is located rudd iowa

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Most hatcheries will sell smaller quantities after April. Reason they want you to buy in minimum of 25 before that is the guarantee of survival, chick do better being shipped in bigger quantities for warmth.

8. Fleetwood77

Fleetwood77 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2015
    Boise, Idaho
    I recently ordered 4 chicks from them. They are scheduled to ship end of February. All I can say about them so far is that the customer service is very prompt. I emailed them to ask a question in the evening and had a response early the next morning. So far so good.

9. Seatrout00

Seatrout00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Melbourne Florida
    Which hatchery was this Fleet - Chickens for Backyards? If so, I too found their customer service spot on! I ordered 6 chicks from them - also scheduled to ship in February.

10. Fleetwood77

Fleetwood77 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2015
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh sorry, yes Chickensforbackyards, what you originally asked about. Exciting! Hopefully everything will go well with the little chicks. I will definitely post an update when they arrive. What kinds did you order? I am getting a Golden Laced Wyandotte, a Black Australorp, a White Plymouth Rock, and an Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by