Has anyone used this hatchery?

I did look at several of the other hatcheries and either I had to order at least 25 or they wouldn't ship until April ... neither were conducive for me, thus I ordered from Chickens for Backyards.

I did look at several of the other hatcheries and either I had to order at least 25 or they wouldn't ship until April ... neither were conducive for me, thus I ordered from Chickens for Backyards.

Congrats on your order! I have an order in to them myself right now, my chicks should be here on the first week of march! I have ordered babies from them 3 times before this. Each time everyone was accounted for and they all got here safe, healthy, and true to breed! They are a great hatchery and treat their birds very well! I have 7 bantams coming including 4 silkies, I also have 10 other standard breeds coming! I cant wait!

Congrats on your order! I have an order in to them myself right now, my chicks should be here on the first week of march! I have ordered babies from them 3 times before this. Each time everyone was accounted for and they all got here safe, healthy, and true to breed! They are a great hatchery and treat their birds very well! I have 7 bantams coming including 4 silkies, I also have 10 other standard breeds coming! I cant wait!

That is super reassuring! Thank you for letting me know. Its only ten more days until my little ones should be arriving at the post office! I'm very excited, save for this flu virus I seemed to have picked up.

Ya I have had nothing but good things with Murray Mcmurray. I would recommend them to anyone. The reason they have a high chick minimum order is to keep the chicks warm during shipping. But always healthy chicks. I think you can order juveniles from them as well. And you can order less chickens if you order them. Good luck!

just wanted to say congratulations on your order. I've not ordered from them before ppersona)ly so I can't comment on that. This year I ordered from Meyer hatchery. My order won't ship until early April because it's so small. I ordered only 7 female barred rock chicks. it's hard waiting so long. I just hope it goes fast. I do understand WHY they wait. They wait so the birds have a better chance of staying warm in shipping in April with so few bodies being shipped. if they shipped the small order of 7 now , it would be too difficult to keep them warm with these cool temps we have. because of that, I don't mind waiting. it's for the chicks own good.How many chicks did you order? Do you know if they ship with a heating pack for the Chicks? Is the hatchery close to the area where you live? I myself am very anxious about mine as they have a long trip to my house? Does the hatchery your using offer the Mareks vaccine? If yes how much do they charge for it? I was pretty impressed that Meyer offered it for only .50 cents per bird! I thought that was a excellent price. I got mine vaccinated for Mareks. Did you get yours done as well? What breeds do you have coming?I have all female (hopefully) Barred Rocks coming. I should have mixed it up but I didn't because I wanted a breed classified as docile in hopes to get along with my silkies. I'm praying that works out well. I just wanted to say congratulations and hope you post LOTS of pictures of your new little ones! I can't wait to see them!! :)

Last edited:

That is super reassuring! Thank you for letting me know. Its only ten more days until my little ones should be arriving at the post office! I'm very excited, save for this flu virus I seemed to have picked up.

Your welcome! :) Also want to add they have great customer service! And everybody that has done reviews on them loves them! Wow I wish mine would come in ten days! :lol: The waiting is killing me!

just wanted to say congratulations on your order. I've not ordered from them before ppersona)ly so I can't comment on that. This year I ordered from Meyer hatchery. My order won't ship until early April because it's so small. I ordered only 7 female barred rock chicks. it's hard waiting so long. I just hope it goes fast. I do understand WHY they wait. They wait so the birds have a better chance of staying warm in shipping in April with so few bodies being shipped. if they shipped the small order of 7 now , it would be too difficult to keep them warm with these cool temps we have. because of that, I don't mind waiting. it's for the chicks own good.How many chicks did you order? Do you know if they ship with a heating pack for the Chicks? Is the hatchery close to the area where you live? I myself am very anxious about mine as they have a long trip to my house? Does the hatchery your using offer the Mareks vaccine? If yes how much do they charge for it? I was pretty impressed that Meyer offered it for only .50 cents per bird! I thought that was a excellent price. I got mine vaccinated for Mareks. Did you get yours done as well? What breeds do you have coming?I have all female (hopefully) Barred Rocks coming. I should have mixed it up but I didn't because I wanted a breed classified as docile in hopes to get along with my silkies. I'm praying that works out well. I just wanted to say congratulations and hope you post LOTS of pictures of your new little ones! I can't wait to see them!!
smile.png

Six pullets - two Australorps, two Barred Rocks and two Speckled Sussexes. The shipping was fairly expensive, so I am guessing they use heat packs. Vaccines were $1 a bird - I didn't get that done on advice from some local farmers. I shall post as many photos as I can, soon as the little ladies arrive! As far as where the hatchery is, I do not know. I can tell you they have great customer service.

just wanted to say congratulations on your order. I've not ordered from them before ppersona)ly so I can't comment on that. This year I ordered from Meyer hatchery. My order won't ship until early April because it's so small. I ordered only 7 female barred rock chicks. it's hard waiting so long. I just hope it goes fast. I do understand WHY they wait. They wait so the birds have a better chance of staying warm in shipping in April with so few bodies being shipped. if they shipped the small order of 7 now , it would be too difficult to keep them warm with these cool temps we have. because of that, I don't mind waiting. it's for the chicks own good.How many chicks did you order? Do you know if they ship with a heating pack for the Chicks? Is the hatchery close to the area where you live? I myself am very anxious about mine as they have a long trip to my house? Does the hatchery your using offer the Mareks vaccine? If yes how much do they charge for it? I was pretty impressed that Meyer offered it for only .50 cents per bird! I thought that was a excellent price. I got mine vaccinated for Mareks. Did you get yours done as well? What breeds do you have coming?I have all female (hopefully) Barred Rocks coming. I should have mixed it up but I didn't because I wanted a breed classified as docile in hopes to get along with my silkies. I'm praying that works out well. I just wanted to say congratulations and hope you post LOTS of pictures of your new little ones! I can't wait to see them!! :)

Six pullets - two Australorps, two Barred Rocks and two Speckled Sussexes. The shipping was fairly expensive, so I am guessing they use heat packs. Vaccines were $1 a bird - I didn't get that done on advice from some local farmers. I shall post as many photos as I can, soon as the little ladies arrive! As far as where the hatchery is, I do not know. I can tell you they have great customer service.

Shipping is expensive, but I think they have it like that because they want to be sure everyone gets here safe and warm. I didn't vaccinate mine either, only because I live on ten acres and where I live the Mereks disease is not around. Can't wait to see your pics. of the little fuzz balls! I'll post some of mine too when they come. :)

Cherries - I didn't vaccinate because I am in the inner city of Melbourne Florida with the closest chickens over a mile away ... it would be highly doubtful that my girls would meet another chicken, let alone find any chicken virus. My girls will have my yard and won't be going anywhere and thus I felt it wouldn't really do much good to vaccinate them.

Cherries - I didn't vaccinate because I am in the inner city of Melbourne Florida with the closest chickens over a mile away ... it would be highly doubtful that my girls would meet another chicken, let alone find any chicken virus. My girls will have my yard and won't be going anywhere and thus I felt it wouldn't really do much good to vaccinate them.

Not to startle you, or break your sense of security, but your chickens aren't safe from Mereks, even given your circumstances. Its often carried by wild birds and you can pick it up on your clothes and shoes just by walking where others with infected birds have been.

That being said, I don't vaccinate either.

Back
Top Bottom