has it ever made u nervious

StrayMagnet

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
W. Georgia
TO let them free range? I started to let our chickens free range (Mom and 7 babys). but I cant stop myself from checking on them every hour!!! they have not gone far (yet) other then next door neibors yard and that was just the first day I let them free range. they pretty much have stuck to the boundry of my yard and the neibor. (where lots of pine needles are they are haviing fun digging and roling in). and in our back yard. mom will fallow me from the side to the front if the dogs not out.

but I can't help myself. I"m so afraid that when dusk comes they wont go back inside their coop that I been going out coraling them in just before dusk.
should I give them a chance today to do it themselfs.. and just trust their all in at dark n close their door? I don't have a house yet.. just under the porch where I have been keepin em.

I don't know.. I guess im just a nervious chicken mommy.

but It is fun to sit in the grass and watch them all peck around me lol. and when they notice I have bread or something its funny to see them all come full speed runnin to me lol

Can you make a simple "safety" pen to put over them while you aren't outside with them? We made a cube of PVC pipe and chicken wire....Just something to give them some protection during the day from hawks, dogs, coyotes, etc. If you are nearby and something dangerous goes near the pen they will make enough noise to alert you. The pen could be open on the bottom and light weight enough to move easily. You would have to have water and shade if needed. I would not leave them out alone. They really need a locked up coop because there are just TOO many predators around even the supposedly safest areas.

I bet your Mama hen and chicks are precious! Post some photos so we can see them!!

I was terrified...
hide.gif

There are 10 un-fenced acres here with lots of places to get lost (or hide). After much reassurance from posts I have read here and my farmer friend, I let my 3 RIR, new to laying girls out. I watched them 'like a hawk', but they didn't go far and it was easy to get them back into the coop. So, I got a little more brave and let my 7 BOs and 3 WRs out too, a few days later.

Day after day, they ventured out more and more, but, as has been told to me "they will always come back 'home'" As long as they know where 'home' is.

I have eased up quite a bit (on myself, LOL) and let them 'do their thing'. They just LOVE being out (wouldn't you?). There is so much for them to enjoy, especially the plentiful crickets right now. When I let everyone out today it reminded me of children getting let out on the last day of school!

But, still, no one stays out if I'm not there, and I'm usually there....they have so much fun. However, I continue to do compulsive head counts throughout the day, but have not lost one yet due to free ranging.
celebrate.gif
fl.gif

My Henny Penny's get to free range all day. I only have 3 girls. I live on 5 acres in the middle of the woods. My girls always stay near the house. When my children are outside playing in the woods, the Henny Penny's always follow them. It is the ONLY time that they will venture into the woods. I am checking out my window's ALL DAY LONG to make sure everyone is accounted for. They love to free range, it is what chickens are meant to do after all, but I do worry for their safety. When I run out to the store or leave the house to pick the girls up from school, I put the hens away in their run. The rest of the time, they are outside and foraging as a chicken should. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable letting them out unless I'm home and doing constant head counts. It's okay to do so. We love our girls and want them safe right? It used to bug my husband on the weekends when he was home and he'd see me constantly checking on the girls. I just told him to get used to it because I wasn't going to stop. So continue I do.
big_smile.png

~Kelly~
My Country Chronicles Blog

Never gave it a moment's thought....I had the best dogs in the world and never had one ounce of problems free ranging all these years. Maybe you should invest in and train a reliable guardian so you can free range in peace.

well. it's Tuesday again and one full week since i decided to let them run. So far they only explore my neibors yard front and back and ours. and now that hubby's mowed our yard. (our mower was broke) they have gone bonkers in the back yard. they would not go in the high grass before. and it was funny as he mowed the yard you see them gunning for the fresh mowed area.. trying to catch crickets.. then run from the mower... then go back running behind him catching crickets LOL..

I guess im just worried bout when it starts to get dark them going back in the coop where I can close it off.. and if anyone is missing.. My not being able to find the missing ones who are bunkerd down somewhere. I been trying to go outside near dusk every night and give them treats and a insentive to go in the cage. so i can close the door.

today I attached a "coop cage" to the porch. and tore off some of the boards I had on there. so "extend" the size of the coop.. so they have a outside area and a "under" the porch "inside" area. so if it's a stormy day.. beacuse if it's stormy and rainy I wont let them free run. They can gointo the extention. also in winter I may not let them range. i'll just buy crickets at the store and meal worms.

thnks all.. I'll post some pics tomarrow of them Running thru the back yard. I'm starting to See each chickens Individual quirks and naming them by their quirk. One is always on mom's butt. Where mom is. "she" or "he" is.. so I named it "butt nugget" or Nugget for short. then the fattest one is butterball.. then I got one I been calling "giblets" or Gibby for short. and One (yet to decide" is Gonna be Chicklet. im trying to name each with a chicken refrence lol.

yea im weird like that

Back
Top Bottom