Has Purina changed its Flock Raiser?

SueT

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 27, 2015
SW MO
I just opened a new bag of Purina Flock Raiser and it is different looking from what I have been feeding for 3 years. The color is darker. Date on bag is Feb 6, so it's barely over a month old. And my chickens and chicks are not loving it as they have loved previous batches. This is what I just wrote to Purina:
"My chickens have loved Purina flock raiser crumbles for years. I have bragged about it to everyone, how they never waste any, how they eat every crumble. However, the most recent bag, opened yesterday, is different. 8FEB06STJ1 is the # on the bag, so it is fresh. The feed looks darker. It smells fine to me, but my chickens don't like it so much. Yes, they are eating it, but I'd say they are only eating half what they did previously. This is a BIG change and I am very concerned. What has changed in this feed???? I may have to go with something else.
I have 15 chickens, 9 adults, and 5 chicks, and all have been eating Purina Flock raiser, and both age groups have balked at this new batch."

The chicks are still in a brooder, separate from the hens/rooster. I always give them all some of it dry and also moisten some to ferment over night. It seems the moistened new batch of feed has a completely different texture, it's sticky and dissolves almost. It gets even darker. I'd call the original flock raiser a golden color, and this new, a liver color.
Has anyone else noticed a change in this feed? Can you recommend a different brand?
feed bag (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
So far the ones I’d been feeding my breeding coop (I buy a bag of 50 lbs weekly) are the same color and had never noticed any change w/ my rooster and hens not liking them. The only thing I’ve noticed are the price 20 cents higher in the last months.

I will wait and see what Purina says, maybe they changed the formula or that plant did, they can tell which plant by the #.
I got it at a TSC a couple weeks ago and probably don't have the receipt at this point. But I am in their 'neighbor's club' and I believe they have my purchases on file. I'd have to take it out of the storage buckets and put it back in the bag and lug the now open bag back to the store. What a drag! I definitely won't get any more w that same date. I'm ready to try another brand, though.

I had the same thing happen before with Dumor.(made by Purina) I took the bag back to TSC and exchanged it for a new bag with a different date code and all was well again. I also had some dumped into a container, but dumped it back in the bag to take back. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response from Purina, they never answered my question, just take it back. The neighbors club will have your purchase on there.

I had the same thing happen before with Dumor.(made by Purina) I took the bag back to TSC and exchanged it for a new bag with a different date code and all was well again. I also had some dumped into a container, but dumped it back in the bag to take back. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response from Purina, they never answered my question, just take it back. The neighbors club will have your purchase on there.
Thank you! We're going to a different store, not a TSC, this morning, thinking they'll be more likely to have a different batch. Each store, in a different town, is a 40 minute drive....I'll return this bag another day.

We went to a different town, got a new bag of Flock Raiser, with the code 8FEB01SGF1 I think the SGF1 means a different plant from the previous, STJ1. Anyway, it looks good, nice golden color as opposed to the darker brown of the other. Neither the chicks or adults had eaten much of the 'bad' batch, which I removed. They all went crazy for the new. Coincidence? I don't think so.
I have seen Purina respond to these threads, they are a BYC sponsor and care about their products and their reputation. I am trusting them to look into this. Meanwhile I am avoiding buying feed from that TSC.

Last edited:
We went to a different town, got a new bag of Flock Raiser, with the code 8FEB01SGF1 I think the SGF1 means a different plant from the previous, STJ1. Anyway, it looks good, nice golden color as opposed to the darker brown of the other. Neither the chicks or adults had eaten much of the 'bad' batch, which I removed. They all went crazy for the new. Coincidence? I don't think so.
I have seen Purina respond to these threads, they are a BYC sponsor and care about their products and their reputation. I am trusting them to look into this. Meanwhile I am avoiding buying feed from that TSC.
Probably a bad lot. It happens. Or it could have gotten wet somewhere along the line, etc...

Back
Top Bottom