1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has this ever happened to anyone else . . . ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Game Bird Guy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    I just got some new coturnix today, and as I was moving them to there new cage, one hen started flapping around in my hands and died! We think she had a heart attack under the stress of moving, but even that seems odd. I have never heard of this happening before and it was a strange and unpleasant experience for me. Just curious to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.
    Kramer

2. For sure cots do NOT LIKE CHANGE! I have not had any die on me while changing cages though,

3. onewithquail

onewithquail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Quail don't like to travel, they can get motion sick very easily, this is what probably happened to your bird, not the putting it in the cage but the travel it did to get to your place. This is why many consciensous breeders do not send live birds, but opt to only mail, or courier eggs. Even a small travel distance can have an unfortunate result.... Sorry to hear about your bird!

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Wow, I havnt had that happen, I have had some die from hitting their heads, did it hit its head on the top of the cage before you got it out?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail can injure themselves if not held correctly. Sorry to hear you lost a bird like that. Things do happen.

6. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    No. It didn't hit it's head. I jst found it really odd. I can't kill, for any reason, and this was a huge surprise to me. At the time it was really freaky though. Luckily it only cost me $3.50, but it was a an animals loss of life. What I dread so much happened to a bird in my hands, it just bothers me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by