Has this happened to anyone?

ausmumof3

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
my dd had a broody silky bantam hatch two eggs (three pipped but one seems to have died in the shell).
However when we went to check tonight one of the Chicks had its foot severely tangled in mums feathers. We managed to remove it by carefully cutting some feathers away and unwrapping and I think hopefully chick will be okay.
I guess I’m just wondering if this is a common problem and if there’s anything I should do to prevent it happening again or if we were just unlucky.

my dd had a broody silky bantam hatch two eggs (three pipped but one seems to have died in the shell).
However when we went to check tonight one of the Chicks had its foot severely tangled in mums feathers. We managed to remove it by carefully cutting some feathers away and unwrapping and I think hopefully chick will be okay.
I guess I’m just wondering if this is a common problem and if there’s anything I should do to prevent it happening again or if we were just unlucky.
I think this is just unlucky and something that happened. I never had this issue with my silkies and their chicks. It could be from the chick burrowing under mom it got tangled since her feathers are more soft and stringy like compared to a regular breed. Just keep a close eye on the chick or chicks for the first few weeks until they are strong enough.

This has happened to me just once but I've heard it is more common with silkies because of their fluffy feathering. It is a rare risk though so hopefully should not happen again, plus the older the chicks the stronger they are so it is more likely to happen to very young chicks. If you are especially worried you could carefully trim more of the feathers under the hen's chest.

So it tangled itself again this morning but thankfully not too badly. It does seem to have an odd walk and was weak after hatching (we had to help it under mum) so it’s possible there’s something underlying wrong. It’s not got the curled toes or fully splay legs just seems to have trouble with balance.

So it tangled itself again this morning but thankfully not too badly. It does seem to have an odd walk and was weak after hatching (we had to help it under mum) so it’s possible there’s something underlying wrong. It’s not got the curled toes or fully splay legs just seems to have trouble with balance.
Are it's legs the same length? Has it eaten? Could be vitamin deficiency. Did it get injured?

It has eaten some but is generally weak. Could have been vitamin deficiency in the hen?
Doesn’t appear injured but the brooding and hatch location was less than ideal but every time we tried to move the hen she’d get cranky and go back to the same spot. I don’t think we’ll let her sit again

not expert in the breed myself, but it could have injured the tendon or caused some splayed leg with first time it got tangled but that's just speculation as I'm not there. Maybe add some save a chick to their water? How long ago did they hatch

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

It has eaten some but is generally weak. Could have been vitamin deficiency in the hen?
Doesn’t appear injured but the brooding and hatch location was less than ideal but every time we tried to move the hen she’d get cranky and go back to the same spot. I don’t think we’ll let her sit again
That's about normal for a chicken, they don't wanna cooperate when broody, I tried moving a broody and locking her down with her eggs she just abandoned the nest one time even though confined

Back
Top Bottom