Hatch-A-Long (May-June)

So, the egg I thought was a quitter has pipped! LMFAO! However, it has pipped at the wrong end. The pip has a 3 pencil eraser size of shell gone and a very tiny hole through the membrane. I have heard some chirps which I am assuming is from quitter's egg. I know I saw an air sac at the large end of the egg but they are Silkie eggs and so small, I never candled the other end.

I will wait and see what Quitter does with his wrong end pip. My first hatch and already 2 surprises.

YAY! Come on surprise baby!

Second egg pipped! Whoo Whoooo.

yesss.gif

Julie-Thats so exciting! I'm glad that your eggs are pipping and your quitter was actually not giving up yet. I hope that it is able to get out if it is pipped on the wrong side. Crossing my fingers for good news!
fl.gif

Thanks teacher chick!

In my very limited experience of only 2 previous hatches - the first ones started rocking and rolling and peeping on the night before day 21 and the hatch started on 21. The second didn't begin anything til day 22. Mainly I am trying to make sure I have everything cleaned and ready in time. I am super pressed for time (and that is an understatement this week) and just wanted to make sure I had everything clean and ready since we start our hatchlings off in a brooder in the house. From what you have said I better get it ready! I didn't know they could start before day 21 but what you said makes sense!

Amanda
Glad to help! I am pretty new to hatching as well. I've done about 5 hatches over the years but as my handle suggests, I am a teacher so it is in my nature to research and learn everything I possibly can about things that interest me. I have learned quite a bit from talking to experts. Don't forget that the chicks can stay in the bator up to 2 days after they have hatched before they are taken out. That should get you enough time to prepare your brooder. The yolk sac will feed the chick during that time. Make sure that your chicks are dry or at least somewhat dry and definitely moving around before you take them out. I'm putting my eggs in lockdown tonight and hopefully will have some fluffy little babies on Sat. When should yours be arriving?

Cute and fluffy babies? They are ugly! lol Only a mother could love these guys.

Quitter pipped and I checked again an 3am, Just a pip. At 6am she was staring back at me. At that time the other egg was 90% hatched. We watched her push the shell off with her legs. The two hatched chickens have been renamed, Teriyaki (Quitter) and Spicy.

My white Silkie egg hasn't even pipped. She was the most active in the egg when I was candling. We are going to call her Rice, so if it has a name it's gonna hatch, right?

I have a RCom mini. We took the egg shells out because they are moving around like crazy. It is so small that I want to get them out soon. I didn't realize it took so long to dry off. Maybe it just the Silkie part. Their butts are pretty dry.I am going to take them out as soon as I can get a more favorable brooder temp.

I hope Chicken and Rice make it.

**Chicken and Rice has pipped!**

Her sisters have been moved into the brooder. They are fluffier now and look a lot less like an alien.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new babies!!!! And good luck on the incubated babies!!!! As for washing a dirty egg? I was told not to buy the guy I bought them from. I had one that was nasty dirty, so much so that it almost grossed me out to turn it. And if you think about it, if they were under a broody, they would be dirty. Here is a little info I found that gives explanation of why not to. Post some pics of y'alls babies, I love baby chick pics lol

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_wash.html

I didn't have a clue that only 2 hatched chicks could shed so much...idk...fur? There are little hairs all over the incubator. It's so full of fuzzy stuff I'm afraid the third chick will look like an ape instead of a chicken.

So, about 30 hours after a pip, my third and final egg hatched.Woo whoooo.He has chirped for a full hour. I think the chirping wore him out because he is passed out now. I know the chirping wore me out.

So I am thrilled that I achieved an 100% hatch rate. I certainly can't take any credit. The incubator did everything and all my questions were answered in different threads and post on BYC. That was fun. Ready to do it again. Is that chicken math?

Meet Rice, Spicy & Terriyaki.

Rice is the White Silkie who is still a little wet. Spicy is a Splash and in these photos closet to Rice. Terriyaki is showing us her butt above. She is a Partridge.I have a feeling not only is Terriyaki a Partridge but also a Roo. Just the mannerisms and neck, he's fearless and it's only Day 2.

Julie-Congrats on your hatch! The pics are great! What type of incubator are you using?

I've got some eggs rocking in mine so I am hoping I'll see a pip soon. I have had some trouble with my incubator keeping a steady temp. A few days ago it spiked up to 108 and I was convinced that I had killed them all but I candled three of them and saw definite movement in 2 so I stopped since they are supposed to be in lockdown. The egg that I can see rocking the most is not one that I candled so I am thinking that there is still hope for some of the others. We shall see. I think that this will be my last hatch with this incubator tho. It takes way too much monitoring to make sure that everything stays constant and it is too frustrating to lose chicks because of factors out of your control. And unfortunately non of my chickens want to go broody so that is not an option.

Anyway, Thanks for sharing with us!

Back
Top Bottom