Hatch-Along - Eggs set in November, due December, anyone?

good luck
fl.gif

To lockdown in turner or to lay on the grate...that is the question???
Yes that is the question!
.I dont use my real turner now ar all just tilt the eggs in an egg carton so i actually do both.Lay and up.I enjoy the hands on.
Started this last hatch as a test...Before that hatched down. To me more natural

If they have been up the whole 18 days i think i would hatch them up too.

first 2 ever hatchs were in the turner but none hatched
.Maybe not the turner but i dont use it now anyway

Make sure its OFF if you use it (guess you know that) Can killa chick getting caught

Started to lay mine down like the hen hatches them.Got chicks each time .Fluke?who knows.

Then last time did both.....3 hatched down plus one down zipped but died and didnt hatch all the way
(Eggtopsied and he had some internal probems)
.2 hatched up.in the carton

7 were set up in the carton
5 were set laying down.
Most had almost full grown chicks inside so they did mature just died before hatch.
Aside
Now i wonder what i did wrong or if idid.They were shipped but were EES so wondered if they carried the deadly americauna or Arcana gene or did i mess up some place
Had to be humidity if i did but did i?

Anyway
...So far.... i am still wondering up or down.?
Many say both will hatch well.
Some say in the carton b/c the eggs dont get rolled around as the babies hatch,
This current time i am doing the up AND down again and I have more eggs coming in a week
Think i will try it a few more times see how it pans out.
roll.png

Last edited:
For lockdown I lay them down.
The first time I hatched without a turner I did the whole incubation with 12 in a carton and 12 laying down to see which was better. Half the eggs hatched but with all the excitement of my first hatch I didn't think about marking which eggs had been in the carton.

For lockdown I lay them down.
The first time I hatched without a turner I did the whole incubation with 12 in a carton and 12 laying down to see which was better. Half the eggs hatched but with all the excitement of my first hatch I didn't think about marking which eggs had been in the carton.
Hey Chicken Canoe I am in Bonne Terre ..an hour south of St Louis.. HELLO!
(Am originally St Louisian though)

What kind of chickens do you have?.

urg I can't get my temp back to where it was for the first 12 days of incubation... It's gone up a degree and wants to stay that way.. Someone tell me my eggs are okay at 101.3 degrees in a still air. I'm worried it's a little toasty.
barnie.gif
I can't wit for day 21 because I'm sick and tired of all this worrying!

That's close to where it should be in a still air. They may come out a little early.
I had a 6% hatch rate in a still air that hit 108 a few times. I don't recommend it though.

Hey Chicken Canoe I am in Bonne Terre ..an hour south of St Louis.. HELLO!
(Am originally St Louisian though)

What kind of chickens do you have?.

Both of my sisters are in Bonne Terre.

I'm breeding Black Penedesencas. I also have a few other hens; Jaerhons, White Minorca, Ancona, Ameraucana.
I have 50 Freedom Ranger chicks in the brooder and 70 eggs in the incubator. They are Penes, Rocks, Marans, Sussex, Legbars, AOrps, RIRs and a dozen fertile eggs from Whole Foods market.

Back
Top Bottom