Hatch along!!!! setting january 11-15!!!

Awww She is so pretty!

It's pretty cold here, but I keep reading that the hens are fine in the cold, and they sure don't seem to mind. Tonight it is 33 F here...Of course the night we are ready to go it has to be one of the coldest nights of the winter. :(

Eggs I put under Rowena

4x Light Sussex
2x Ameracauna/Easter Egger
1x California White
3x light brown mystery eggs! Could be any one of 8 breeds including Black Australorp, Black Langshan, Buff Orpington, Gold Sex Link, Iowa Blue, Production Red, Salmon Favorelle, and Welsummer

So...I really hope they hatch so I can find out what they are! :)

Has anyone had experience with a Broody who is less than 8 months old? She has been sitting for 2 weeks before I finally decided to give her some eggs. She seems determined, I hope it works out well!

my broody silkie is about 8 months old and has benn broody for a little over a month now. and also if its light brown its probably not a welsummer

Last edited:
Ohh you are right- light brown would not be a Welsummer. I was just repeating what I was told from my egg source. Tonight when I went to lock the run, I noticed one of my chickens was missing. After looking in the usual places, I found my Silver laced Wyandotte in the nest box.

Hmmm. We'll see where she is tomorrow, but if she is broody, I may just get some chocolate eggs to hatch! I would so love to have chocolate egg layers. I am thinking Marans? Anyone with more experience have an opinion?

Just got my son back to bed. He's got a bad cold. Headed back to bed to get some sleep I had a wild hair to check on one of the eggs at random. Barely opened the bator and snuck one out. Popped it up against my little led flashlight and wow a centimeter sized dark blob. On Day 3! Crazy! Didn't think I would see anything! Honestly had my doubts that anything would develop after finding one of the shipped eggs was cracked. Holy Moly!!!! Gosh I hope I can go back to sleep! Want to wake my DH lol! Will try to resist. WOW!

I set 135 eggs on the 10th. Does that still count?? Mostly Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Blue and Black Marans. Can't set eggs from my best pen of BBS Ameraucanas until after the Ft. Worth Stock Show. Im getting anxious...
clap.gif

Just set 5 Cochin poss. Silky X, 7 Easter/Olive Egger X, 4 Marans, and 13 mystery X eggs.

First attempted hatch ever in homemade incubator with reptile habitat thermostat and heating elements.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ohh you are right- light brown would not be a Welsummer.  I was just repeating what I was told from my egg source.  Tonight when I went to lock the run, I noticed one of my chickens was missing.  After looking in the usual places, I found my Silver laced Wyandotte in the nest box.  

Hmmm.  We'll see where she is tomorrow, but if she is broody, I may just get some chocolate eggs to hatch!  I would so love to have chocolate egg layers.  I am thinking Marans? Anyone with more experience have an opinion?

I have some maran chicks that aren't very nice but I have heard some are so idk. Penedesencas lay huge dark eggs if you want that... And they have good hatching eggs at gabbard farms btw

I set my first batch of shipped eggs last night, along with some of my own! 4 of the shipped ones had wonky/detached air cells, so they aren't being turned yet. I've got 5 lemon cuckoo orps, 2 Rhodebar, and 15 mixed eggs from my hens!

Saw some slight veining in one egg I set on the 12th today!
smile.png

One of the ones I added yesterday started weeping, so I took it out. When I broke it open it had a meat spot, but no development at all. and it wasn't scrambled from shipping.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom