Hatch Day 18 for Quail No signs of hatching 😢

NicolaB

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2023
Hello I’m new to this forum! Have learnt some valuable info through many of the posts, Thank you x
I am doing my first hatch of quail! Have followed the instructions to the best of my knowledge!
1.set them and have counted day 1 24hrs from setting
2. Temp has stayed between 37.7 -38 using hydrometer just above eggs
3. For the first 3 days humidity did drop to around 20% over night before I worked out how much water to put in then stayed steady at 50% until lockdown day 14
4. I did try candeling eggs day 14 had no idea what I was doing Lol 😆 but definitely some clear ones I took out and darker ones left in there! Humidity since lockdown has been around 70-78%
5. Day 18 and no sign of babies, no movement or pipping, The whole family has been so excited for this day! But nothing 😢Any advice? Is there still a chance???
6. Incubator is a Janome 24 auto turn

Hi no didn’t calibrate the temp! Not sure what that means I will google it 😂
The Temp on the incubator read lower than the hydrometer! I bought the set up of a guy who has quail! The eggs are Japanese and English white!

Hi no didn’t calibrate the temp! Not sure what that means I will google it 😂
The Temp on the incubator read lower than the hydrometer! I bought the set up of a guy who has quail! The eggs are Japanese and English white!
If the temperature is a little low, they'll be a bit late.

I am doing my first hatch of quail! Have followed the instructions to the best of my knowledge!
1.set them and have counted day 1 24hrs from setting
2. Temp has stayed between 37.7 -38 using hydrometer just above eggs
3. For the first 3 days humidity did drop to around 20% over night before I worked out how much water to put in then stayed steady at 50% until lockdown day 14
4. I did try candeling eggs day 14 had no idea what I was doing Lol 😆 but definitely some clear ones I took out and darker ones left in there! Humidity since lockdown has been around 70-78%
5. Day 18 and no sign of babies, no movement or pipping, The whole family has been so excited for this day! But nothing 😢Any advice? Is there still a chance???
6. Incubator is a Janome 24 auto turn
Humidity is a little high also I hatch Quail with starting humidity at 35% to 45% and at lockdown 60%. for my temp I run 100 Degrees and they start hatching at 16 to 16 1/2 days and usually done by end of day 17. But you need a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer to know exactly where you're at. Hoping your temps were just a little low and you will have a late hatch.🤞 Has anything happened yet?

Last edited:
Humidity is a little high also I hatch Quail with starting humidity at 35% to 45% and at lockdown 60%. for my temp I run 100 Degrees and they start hatching at 16 to 16 1/2 days and usually done by end of day 17. But you need a calibrated thermometer and hydrometer to know exactly where you're at. Hoping your temps were just a little low and you will have a late hatch.🤞 Has anything happened yet?
I have 10 beautiful little babies 🐣 I can’t believe it! I’m so happy they are still hatching so I guess they’re a little late? It’s day 19. I can’t leave the incubator 😂

I have 10 beautiful little babies 🐣 I can’t believe it! I’m so happy they are still hatching so I guess they’re a little late? It’s day 19. I can’t leave the incubator 😂
When should I put them in the Brooder? I’m a little confused I’ve read so much 😂 Some say 48hrs others 24hrs what would you recommend please 😁

When should I put them in the Brooder? I’m a little confused I’ve read so much 😂 Some say 48hrs others 24hrs what would you recommend please 😁
I remove to a warm brooder as soon as they are dry. What does your brooder set up look like, and what temp is it in its warmest spot under heat at ground surface?

I like to sprinkle their starter feed lightly on ground in brooder this helps getting them eating sooner until they figure out where feed is in the feeder. I also dip their beaks lightly in their water to let them know what it is. Once they are active and running around you can tap your finger on their feeder and waterer this will get them to check things out and start eating and drinking from them sooner. Once a few starts the others will all copy them, and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom