Hatch out in a carton or on the wire?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ryu, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I have always hatched out on the wire, or more recently on a shelfliner over the wire floor.

What are the pluses to using carton bottom to hold them?

Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use a carton. Keeps the first chicks from bowling the later hatching eggs all around.

There are many threads on this topic if you do a search.

3. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I am curious to know the answer to this as well. I just hatched a bator load and am getting to load it up again.

My new little chicks played bator soccer just after they were born. I want to prevent this from happening again.

Darin

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use a carton, and it seems the chicks have a much easier time getting out of the shells, and it makes cleanup a breeze. I will never hatch on the incubator floor again.

5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Can you explain how you hatch in a carton?

6. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Id like to know also. Because people told that was bad because if they pip low than its not easy to hatch

7. SundownWaterfowl

First I cut out the bottoms of each egg "holder", or i poke a hole in it to allow for air circulation. I only use the paper cartons. Then on day 18, I move them to the hatcher. Place them large end up in the carton, and let them hatch.

8. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Thats why I cut holes in the bottom. My last hatch I had a brahma chick that pipped low, but since I had the bottoms cut out, he lived until I could open the bator and "bust" him out.

9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I use autoturners... and last year.. laying the eggs on their sides resulted in a few IMO unnecessary losses..

This is my first hatch of the year and I went with cartons... I cut holes out of most but not all of the slots... it's been FANTASTIC... and because everyone loves photos... I hurried with one that just popped out of the egg...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and when my newest lovely blue popped out, she [​IMG] fell right into the cup next to her... comfy cozy and safe.

Also.. notice that most all the mess is in the egg carton! YAY
    And last thing.. one popped out without fully absorbing it's yolk.. I"m convinced this little darling would've drown on it's side... which is what I lost some to before...

10. Jolly Acres

Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    Great Pics! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by