Hatch out in a carton or on the wire?

Ryu

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
I have always hatched out on the wire, or more recently on a shelfliner over the wire floor.

What are the pluses to using carton bottom to hold them?

Thanks!

I am curious to know the answer to this as well. I just hatched a bator load and am getting to load it up again.

My new little chicks played bator soccer just after they were born. I want to prevent this from happening again.

Darin

First I cut out the bottoms of each egg "holder", or i poke a hole in it to allow for air circulation. I only use the paper cartons. Then on day 18, I move them to the hatcher. Place them large end up in the carton, and let them hatch.

I use autoturners... and last year.. laying the eggs on their sides resulted in a few IMO unnecessary losses..

This is my first hatch of the year and I went with cartons... I cut holes out of most but not all of the slots... it's been FANTASTIC... and because everyone loves photos... I hurried with one that just popped out of the egg...

101_2567.JPG
101_2568.JPG

101_2569.JPG
101_2570.JPG

and when my newest lovely blue popped out, she
fl.gif
fell right into the cup next to her... comfy cozy and safe.

Also.. notice that most all the mess is in the egg carton! YAY
And last thing.. one popped out without fully absorbing it's yolk.. I"m convinced this little darling would've drown on it's side... which is what I lost some to before...

Back
Top Bottom