Hatch rate of shipped eggs?

like metioned above it varies, I've 85% hatch and I've had 0% hatch. it's worth a try and it's fun to recieve them in the mail it's like christmas:D

It's definitely worth trying. The worst number I ever had was 2 out of 12 hatched and one was a cockerel I had to sell, but the other one was a beautiful pullet that is in my breeding program, so I dont consider it a bad hatch.

For me:

1st batch: 0/15 and same as development
2nd: 9/15 hatched. 11/15 developed. 8 survived.
3rd (still incubating): 15/18 developed and day 17.

4th batch is manchurian quail eggs and too dark to candle very well but do see some development and movement.

5th: Arrived today which will be pheasants: ringneck, mel. mutant and buff and possible crosses of these breeds.

I live in KY and bought eggs from Ohio. I had like a 99% hatch rate. But that is the only time i have bought eggs of internet. I tried to find the ones closest to me. That way they would arrive sooner. I recived mine priority 2-3 day mail. They shipped on a Monday recieved Wed. I have been thinking of buying some duck eggs off ebay. Good Luck

I tried to find the ones closest to me. That way they would arrive sooner

That is not necessarily true. I have had better luck getting packages to California from Georgia(well, NC since my closest P.O. is over the line in NC) in two days than to Missouri or IN STATE to NC! Once I sent eggs to CoreyNC from Culberson NC to Bahama, NC. Took THREE days! Missouri always takes 3-5 days for some reason. I just sent eggs to jeaucamom in CA from that same Culberson, NC P.O. and it took 2 days. That's the norm, actually.​

Last edited:
I have only incubated two shipments - first 14 got mis-routed - they were 10 days old - the 14 replacements were a day later - I had a temp drop around the 15th day - only one chick hatched and it was from the first shipment! I did not candle the eggs. But with the temp drop that was probably what did them in. From my own stock I have about a 75-80% hatch rate. But I am gonna try again. I was using the LG foam bator and now I am using an old 1202 Sportsman cabinet that is dead on temp of 99.5 and maintains good humidity.

Quote:
And very pretty she is! My avatar is of one of my BOs I hatched out two years ago. Well technically "I" didn't hatch her out, one of my bantams did.
wink.png

I had two batches of shipped eggs, of the first batch (16 eggs) about half developed to some point before dying without hatching. Some were still just honey-bee sized, some were within a day or two of hatching. Once I put them in the hatcher, I did not touch them again until they were way overdue. The second batch (12 eggs) is due to go into the hatcher on Monday, but at last candling a week ago I really only saw movement in one egg, and 4 others were iffy. Should I candle them again when I move them to the hatcher, or should I just move them and wait? I'm heartbroken, and I hate disposing of unborn chicks as much as I hate wasting good money, but out of 28 eggs, I may only get one, if that one hasn't given up on me too. But is it because the eggs were shipped? Is it because they had to fly to get here? Or is it something I did? As far as I know, the temps were good, the humidity was within range - the only thing that I can think of is that maybe (in my excitement) I candled them too many times. I candled at day 3, 4, 5, 9, 10 and 14... the eggs came from a breeding pair where the roo was killed just days after I received the eggs. I was SO hoping to carry on his line, but I don't think it's going to happen.
sad.png
Any thoughts, suggestions? Besides keep my mitts off of them... I learned that one!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom