Hatched Chick Not Moving? help!

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
I’ve been watching my chicks hatch the past few hours and I just checked them and a chick is not moving. She hatched fine and was moving, but I just checked and there is NO movement. Her eyes are half closed, she hasn’t gotten up since I noticed, and I can’t see breathing. What should I do? Everything was fine until now.

I warmed a premmie chick in my hands once (from a nest) and it came back to life. But I think you’ll know.

Im holding her but im pretty sure she’s dead. What should i do with her? I havent had a newly hatched die before
When I have dead chicks I just go into my forest and leave it for the forest animals to deal with. Some people bury them and some even put a marker down for them. Depends on how you deal with that kind of stuff. I had 4 dead chicks this past hatch and two that I had to cull myself. It really sucks. I am sorry for your loss.

Im holding her but im pretty sure she’s dead. What should i do with her? I havent had a newly hatched die before
I'm sorry this happened. You can bury her. I've buried chicks in the garden so they're bodies feed the plants. You could leave her body outside and a wild animal will find her. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Again, sorry for your loss. :hugs

I buried my first dead chick. Now the occasional failed hatchlings just go out with the trash. I do have a special rock though, I’ve designated it “gravestone rock” and it is considered a memorial to my first dead chick. It used to actually be over her burial, but my stepdad had to move it to mow the lawn. I keep a record, and every animal who lives and dies on the farm is listed there. From living hens, to my unfortunately dead 12th quail (the other 11 are doing alright, even the one with the hip deformity ) I keep record of it all.

Back
Top Bottom