Hatched early???

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
The turkey eggs finally zipped. We have 8 out of 13 so far. This little one was the last one we saw was pipped. There was no activity for 48 hours, so we assisted (I HATE doing that) but did we make a mistake?? I am praying not…I don’t know what the red sac is…and some green?? Will he be ok? He is wet…chirping…laying on his side. We let him push himself out of the shell when he was ready but...very worried….

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 4
Update: He kind of scooted his head into the large section of the egg where the sack is and is ‘chewing’. I think that is a good thing(?). Somehow…I think he was turned around in the egg (and super tight in it…more than I have ever seen) and couldn’t ‘right’ himself. I know the sack has nutrients. Is it likely he will eat it from outside the shell like that And be ok?

Update: He kind of scooted his head into the large section of the egg where the sack is and is ‘chewing’. I think that is a good thing(?). Somehow…I think he was turned around in the egg (and super tight in it…more than I have ever seen) and couldn’t ‘right’ himself. I know the sack has nutrients. Is it likely he will eat it from outside the shell like that And be ok?
Are you talking about the yolk? If it hasn't absorbed the yolk, get a small container,put a paper towel in it, then put the poult in it and back into the incubator. The container needs to be small enough that it keeps the poult upright and tall enough that it can't get out.

can the poult be laying on its side In the container?
This is about 4” x 3”. He could lay on his side
would this work?
I could put him in here with the yolk?
I have a 5”x4” 2” high I could use too. Give him a bit more room? These are plastic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 3
Are you talking about the yolk? If it hasn't absorbed the yolk, get a small container,put a paper towel in it, then put the poult in it and back into the incubator. The container needs to be small enough that it keeps the poult upright and tall enough that it can't get out.
So…I really didn’t know how to do what you were saying. This is what I did…will it help him? His beak is right on the yolk sac. He doesn’t seem to be chewing right now at alll…just resting. Do you think he will be ok…make it?

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
can the poult be laying on its side In the container?
This is about 4” x 3”. He could lay on his side
would this work?
I could put him in here with the yolk?
I have a 5”x4” 2” high I could use too. Give him a bit more room? These are plastic
No. It needs to be small enough that it forces the poult to be upright.

So…I really didn’t know how to do what you were saying. This is what I did…will it help him? His beak is right on the yolk sac. He doesn’t seem to be chewing right now at alll…just resting. Do you think he will be ok…make it?
Only time will tell if it makes it. It needs to not break the yolk. It needs to absorb it.

For a container, think of an appropriately sized cup. That is why it is referred to as the cup method.

Only time will tell if it makes it. It needs to not break the yolk. It needs to absorb it.

For a container, think of an appropriately sized cup. That is why it is referred to as the cup method.
Ok. I have a mug that could work for it. do I put the yolk next to it in. The cup?

Ok…now I have this. The yolk Is in the cup with him. Is this right now? How long does he stay like this…I mean, how long to absorb the yolk?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom