hatched with GIANT BLOB between legs...what should I do?

newbiechickenowner

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Georgia, VT
Duckling hatched, BUT, still half in shell (or back end) and there is a GIANT blob between his legs....is there ANY chance of him actually absorbing that size mass? What do I do with him????? Please help! Thanks!

First off leave him in the shell! It is probably part of his insides that have not "pulled in" yet. Just let him rest and he should absorb it. Do not try to help him out of the shell. I know we get anxious but he has 3 days to be up and ready to eat and drink. good luck!

Do not put a band-aid on it.

It could kill the baby.

Leave him alone and do not touch him. Do not let any other babies

around him. He will ubsorb it.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I just re-read your post.

Okay if it is unabsorbed yolk then leave the shell on. Wrap him in a warm wet towel supporting him staying in and connected to the shell. Just make sure you help it with hydration. Mix the yolk with the water till it was virtually liquid and fed from a eye dropper. Leave them him the incubator for til he is done absorbing the yolk. Mix some vitamins/minerals/electrolytes with a little bit of sugar in water and give him one beak full to swallow. This will help him to gain strength. Resting is all he needs. Do not force the egg shell off their bodies. It will fall off when ready. He is still absorbing the yolk which can take a day or so.

If it is not unabsorbed yolk the bandaid will work.

Back
Top Bottom