Hatcheries?

Jhawk23

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Ohio
I was thinking about ordering chicks from Meyers hatchery & wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them? I was looking at their assortment for rare breeds & Was wondering if anyone else got their assortments & it it’s worth it. Also is one order just one chick or does the assortments come with more then one chick per order?

I've never ordered online but every hatchery us different with how many per order. I believe the minimum at Meyers is 3 chicks per order right now. One order is just your order. It's however many chicks you pick.

I ordered 7 chicks (all different breeds) from Meyer and got my shipment 7/21 (hatched 7/20). Lost one chick to failure to thrive (most likely) but all of them looked excellent on arrival. The remaining 6 are doing fabulous. From my one experience I would definitely recommend them.

**Adding to the above, I did not order an assortment (I chose all the breeds myself). I got a Green Queen, Lakeshore Egger, Easter Egger, Blue Orpington, Barred Rock, a Golden Buff, and the one who didn't make it was a GL Wyandotte.

I personally recommend picking one closer to your home, i.e., don't order form California if you live in Virginia, that type of thing. Pay attention to your weather. If you are expecting temps to still be hot, weigh your odds of your little chickies being on a truck when it's over 100 degrees. I've always ordered from Meyer with great success, but I've seen a small handful of reviews on their website as well as on here that they have been recently over crowding chicks in the shipping boxes. With that said, I got a shipment in April and they weren't overcrowded and They are growing into beautiful chickens. They are the closest hatchery to me, but I also chose them because they allow small orders and offer a lot of breeds. I've had a 100% accurate sex rate thus far, too.

I received chicken from Myers. too young to know gender success but all arrived live active only one has defective wing development, a barnevelder . also got jubilee Orpingtons soo much color its like a fireworks display. they added a bared rock free. so far delighted except for one odd wing, may clear, don't know. ill post for thoughts as this forum is so helpful. there are some very light Isabell Orpingtons Im going to try to hatch some. Im orpington addicted. I would use Myers again based on first order vs feed store bad luck gender typing.

Back
Top Bottom