hatcheries

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monicaei, Apr 13, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well I can always use a book. I can always learn something new! I might just do that to get the ducklings I want. Thanks.

2. P-F

P-F In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Delphos, Ohio
    It is also posted on Ideals website if you don't want the extra males to call right after you order and tell them.

The way I read it they may want you to buy the insurance if you don't want the males, that may help you get to the $25 though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Songster

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i have always liked privett hatchery
    but they dont allow pickup for closer people[​IMG][/img]

4. championny

championny Songster

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I have only ordered from Ideal. They have a great selection and are very friendly. Best of all, besides the $20 limit, at least they don't make you order 25 chicks when I only want 5. Last November, I ordered 3 Orpingtons, a barred rock, 2 Pekins and a Blue Swedish. They did add a few males, but I was very pleased. Also, they mail out their chicks the day they hatch, unlike some places that wait a day from what I heard.

5. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    FYI the small order charge and insurance for no males also counts towards your $25 total with Ideal. I ordered a total of 5 chicks from them and spent $26 and some change by the time the fees were added in.

6. championny

championny Songster

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    The small order fee can seem a bit unfair, but I would rather pay that then to have to be "forced" if you will to order chicks I really don't want or need. Sure the males are unwanted, but some people can sell them, give them away or butcher them for meat when they are older. I still feel its the best deal out there. I just wish they could keep the ones I want in stock, but I just have to order earlier.[​IMG]

7. red-hen

red-hen Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    I second the recommendation of Cackle Hatchery. Also - during the warmer months their minimum order is reduced to only 15 chicks. (25 during cooler times).

From their site:
    MINIMUM ORDER: A minimum of 25 chicks Feb-March, 15 chicks for balance of year

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/default.html

I *HIGHLY* recommend you do a search through this site, through google, and elsewhere to look for good and bad feedback on any hatchery before you buy. It can be a very educational experience to say the least. [​IMG] Pretty catalogs and pretty web sites mean less than reviews by real buyers.​

8. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Songster

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    ill try to find some pics of my rirs i got from privett they have deep red they are so beautifull

9. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Songster

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i am having problems posting pics ill need to work on this

10. monicaei

monicaei Hatching

Apr 11, 2008
    thanks everyone! immensly helpful! Love this website

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: